-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

General Forum : First REAL drive....... :)

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - First REAL drive....... :)
Boost_me   Posted Monday, Jan 22nd 10:19am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 82

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
So today I had my first REAL drive of my E21......And I must say it was an exhilarating experiance.....I didn't want to get out of my car!!!! So smooth, fast and agile....the steering was nimble and the corner's where tight. Today was a very good day!!!!! I have this question/statment.....I don't have alot of power under 4,000RPM, and my idle is very lopey ( chunky idle).....It shake's the damn car around....lol.....The oil is Uber clean ( like brand new gold oil) and it never EVER (cold or hot) blow's a puff of smoke....Is this normal for a M20 2.3ltr I6???? Somthing's telling me it's had a little work done...I dunno, what's do you guys think???

jdench   Posted Monday, Jan 22nd 12:01pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 151

Sussex, UK
1979 E21 323i, 1998 E36 323i touring

jdench   Posted Monday, Jan 22nd 12:02pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 152

Sussex, UK
1979 E21 323i, 1998 E36 323i touring
It could have a higher duration cam in it, anything over 284 will give you a lopey idle, Schrick do cam shafts all the way to 304 if I am remembering correctly. The higher duration moves the power further up the rev range, you should get a good surge from around 3600rpm and it will tail off at about 5700rpm. When does yours tail off?

Have at look at this page as well http://e21.tricord.be/forum/view.php?view=11032&highlight=schrick

Boost_me   Posted Tuesday, Jan 23rd 10:57am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 84

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
Thank's, I think it may have a slightly mild cam or somthing because I have power between 4000RPM to yeah around 5500-5700RPM....Nothing past 55-5700RPM.....

pjs323i   Posted Tuesday, Jan 23rd 12:27pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
congrats! they are M-azing cars to drive (pardon the pun )

mines got a bucketload of power in the lower rev range and its got instant reponse and really lively handeling, thats what i love about it and thats why i fell in love with these cars.

Madhatter   Posted Tuesday, Jan 23rd 3:12pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 89

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
6's are dead under 4k, its normal for the engine and it is very much due to their design.

unstable idle is quite often a vacuum leak somewhere in the intake system (and the mass of hoses that connect to it). Spend $30-$40 at your local parts store and buy lengths of vacuum hoses in sizes to suit those found in the engine bay. Be surprised the difference it makes, 20 year old cracked hoses can be pretty nasty.

aussie323i   Posted Saturday, Jan 27th 5:20pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 554

australia
1979 323i
Well done... yeah- they are fun cars to drive! My car comes on strong arounnd 3000RPM but I'm running an inlet manifold with longer runners 'cos my 323i runs EFI, and my K&N filter seemed to help the midrange come on stronger too... due to the manifold I really run outta steam at 5500RPM though!

Have fun

Boost_me   Posted Sunday, Jan 28th 1:05am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 92

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
I am having fun.....this car is awsome......Execpt today I hit some type of wall at around 6,000rpm....Is there a fuel-cut on these??? Or did I simply just have not enough fuel to spin the engine that fast???.....I'm unsure but those are the 2 things on my mind.....It was wet this morning, I didn't even mean too but I went side-ways on pretty much every corner, and I wouldn't get ANY traction in 1st,2nd or 3rd gear's, I had to baby it tramendously........She just let's go....Even in the dry I spin into 2nd...

sunbeam***   Posted Sunday, Jan 28th 1:38pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 241

wirral UK
1982 323i
You've probably got the rev limiter fitted to the distibutor rotor arm, that usally kicks in just over 6K.
Pop the dissy cap off and look if the rotor arm has a spring assembley fitted to the rear of them arm, if it has thats your problem.

Madhatter   Posted Sunday, Jan 28th 5:08pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 97

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
If he does have one fitted, 6000rpm is too low for it to kick in.

Boost_me   Posted Sunday, Jan 28th 8:58pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 93

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
Thank's guy's.....I'll have a look for it after school today......First day back!!!!!

sunbeam***   Posted Sunday, Jan 28th 9:19pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 242

wirral UK
1982 323i
Madhatter wrote:
If he does have one fitted, 6000rpm is too low for it to kick in.

Weak spring on old rotor?
Rev limiter should kick in at 6400 Rpm

Boost_me   Posted Monday, Jan 29th 6:11am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 94

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
So I just went out to have a look at the distributor cap botton.......I didn't get very far as I'm assuming I need to take the air-filter/front air-intake off to get to it......I will have to leave this for the weekend as I am driving the car and cannot afford it to break on me now.....So I will commense this on Saturday afternoon......

Madhatter   Posted Monday, Jan 29th 3:49pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 99

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
sunbeam*** wrote:

Weak spring on old rotor?
Rev limiter should kick in at 6400 Rpm

or 6600rpm, there are a few different rotor buttons.

No, you dont need to take all that off, just use a long screw driver to fit down to the distributor, turn the screw on either side and pop the clamps off, then you can take the button out.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.