-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

General Forum : Motor swap option or turbo?

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - Motor swap option or turbo?
c900t16   Posted Thursday, Jan 25th 6:45pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Ontario, Canada
1982 BMW 320i, 1990 Nissan 240sx
hey,

im new here and to BMW in general. Ive always loved the cars though, but stayed away due to bad impressions when i was younger...my dad had bought a brand new '91 5 series and 6 months after he sold it because it was nothing but issues.

Anyways, i jsut picked up an '82 320i, 2dr and im toying with the idea of either building a custom turbo kit (this is engine is in need of power!), but before i do that i need to inform myself a little more, but it should be fun and different than any other electronic fuel injected car ive ever owned and turboed!

My second idea is to stick my SOHC engine from my '90 nissan 240sx and then converting that engine to a carburated with a turbo set up or just keeping it as in and transplating it all in and just do a SOHC turbo.

I think option 2 would be unheard of and it might be a very cool project!
The only thing with that is that im hessitant to do this because im not sure if i want to try and keep as original as possible...i havent made my mind up yet. This car will deff. be a keeper,,,the body is in amamzing condition for the year! Its almost rust free except in a couple spots but the underside is just unbelievable and its never been undercoated it looks like!

Anyways, what do you guys think? The rear seats are toast,,,i need new ones and i think im might just get somethign else in there, the horse hair just doesnt do it for me and i feel sorry for whoever has to sit back there! The same goes for the pass. seat. iTs ripped as well. The driver seat is mint.

davethedog   Posted Friday, Jan 26th 3:23pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 158

Northants, England
E21 320
Sounds like you have a few good idea's. I think you should rip out the interior, put a couple of buckets in. If you have the ability to put a different engine in I think you should, atleast you would have a car which is an original.

e21enthusiast   Posted Friday, Jan 26th 8:24pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 52

eugene,oregon
hennarot 320is,topasbraun metalic 323
240 engines have been done turbo rb20 skyline as well. i would stay true and keep a bmw engine in it the other stuff might be cheap to make a lot of power but its like sacralige i dont even look at the ones with v8 chevy motors and stuff as bmws. thats just my 2 cents though. you can get an m20 and turbo it it wouldnt be hard or too pricey to get 250 at the wheels out of it. and believe me that much power in a 320 seems like a lot!if you have money and skills you could look at a m3 swap or something of that nature. theres a lot of options out there and lots have stuff has been tried and done. ive seen all sorts of american engines i heard of a rotary ive seen a ls1. just about anything can be made to fit.just figure out whats right for you.

redmist   Posted Friday, Jan 26th 9:33pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1024

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
Turbo M20

ArnZ   Posted Saturday, Jan 27th 2:47pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 62

Qld, Australia
BMW 323i
turbo m20 = alot of power

hdx   Posted Saturday, Jan 27th 9:20pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 3

ca. usa
323i + 320 race car
540i v8 saw one at pic your part the other day

Himizoli   Posted Sunday, Jan 28th 1:51pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 9

Hungary
M52b25 or M52b28

pjs323i   Posted Sunday, Jan 28th 2:45pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
mmm turbo m20b23

pjs323i   Posted Sunday, Jan 28th 2:45pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
...with triple webbers

jdench   Posted Sunday, Jan 28th 5:08pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 153

Sussex, UK
1979 E21 323i, 1998 E36 323i touring
M70 with 6 double webbers,

Thread Administration

Copyright 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.