- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - help! wont start...at all!
c900t16   Posted Friday, Jan 26th 3:04am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 2

Ontario, Canada
1982 BMW 320i, 1990 Nissan 240sx
ok,

so we installed a new gastank in and we had pulled the battery out yesterday. Now today it wont start. it cranks but there is no spark in at the coil and no signal even getting to it. We tried a different coil, and same thing, nothing!

im stil new to BMW and this car, so im kind of lost and i need to get this running for tomorrow!

we think it may have something to do with the alarm.
Also will the car start if the gas cap is removed? I know my saab wouldnt start and i just thought of that now... Im trying to see what else we did that may have caused something to make it not start.

Any ideas where to start? the car is dead cold and has not been running since probably november was the last time it was driven/started.

Boost_me   Posted Friday, Jan 26th 4:04am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 91

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
Check your fuel lines.....Make sure you connected everything to the new fuel tank/lines also.......Why would you think it was spark if you switched coils and the same problem occurs...It could be an immobiliser....Was there one on the car when you got it??.....If not I would serously look at fuel delivery.......Just because that's where you were playing last....

c900t16   Posted Friday, Jan 26th 6:27am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 3

Ontario, Canada
1982 BMW 320i, 1990 Nissan 240sx
ok well the alarm was dissconected. there was no imboilizer its just a siren alarm it turns out. I just got back form the shop now, i checek all the grounds and fuses. I checked the distributor for corrosion. It was clean. Now the only thing i can i think of in this car, since its a fairly simple ingnition system to a point, is that either the coils we tried were both dead, or the disstributor is messed up for some reason. Also the fuel lines are wacked or something.

How can i test the fuel pump to see if its working on this caR? and if there is no spark in whatsoever at the coil, where could i go form there?

i did not do the gas tank myself, so ill have to look at it tomorrow and double check it all.

aussie323i   Posted Saturday, Jan 27th 11:11am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 553

australia
1979 323i
if you have no spark and the coil is ok, I have had two other ignition related problems with my 323i. One was a bad earth on the ignition module, and the other was a stuffed reluctor in the distributor (the auto electrician can test for these!)

If you do have spark... check your fuel pump as mentioned... if you get hold of a manual, you can jumper two pins in the fuel pump relay to make it run all the time for testing (I can't remember the pin numbers off the top of my head- sorry)

Good Luck

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.