Tech Forum : Ignition Distributor Rebuild

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Ignition Distributor Rebuild
g323   Posted Wednesday, Jan 31st 3:06am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 86

California
323i 1982
Anyone ever rebuild one? Simple task? Where can I get the parts? How much does this cost? Or is it better just to give it to my mechanic and tell him to rebuild it?

Madhatter   Posted Wednesday, Jan 31st 10:33am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 100

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
why do you need it rebuilt?

g323   Posted Wednesday, Jan 31st 11:07pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 87

California
323i 1982
Some things that made me think it needs to be rebuilt.

One of the clips fell off leaving a hole in the side and an inability for me to clamp down the cap. Sooo I super glued it in because its my only car, this is working for the time being, but it scare me and im sure there is a small vacuum leak there still.

There is oil in the inside of it.

the vaucuum advance is loosly bolted on.

In the least, i feel in needs work, and since im going to detach it to fix these things, i would like to rebuild it if possible.

Also, I bought a used one that looks great, however, I dont know its actualy working condition, so i was thinking of just rebuilding that one to be sure, and then simply removing the old one.

Also I have a unstable idle

aussie323i   Posted Thursday, Feb 1st 1:21am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 555

australia
1979 323i
I can't really help you with much info on the rebuild, but while you have the dizzy out check for play in the sprocket that drives the dizzy from the intermediate shaft.

I had a friend who's sprocket came off the dizzy, jammed the intermediate shaft (which caused the timing belt to jump off) and then the valves bent when they hit the pistons.... bottom line, the unfortunate fellow actually had this happen TWICE... he replaced the dizzy with a second hand one and didn't check the sprocket and that one was no good either and the sprocket came off again... two head rebuilds later he learned his lesson.

If there is play between the sprocket and shaft of the dizzy, either get it rebuilt, or get another second hand one and check that there is no play.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.