Tech Forum : DIY mega stiff bushings

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - DIY mega stiff bushings
Bill in MN   Posted Friday, Feb 2nd 11:10pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 93

Minnesota USA
1988 735, 1986 535 turbo, 1981 Baur 323i
I've not seen this talked about on this board since I've been around. I learned this several with the e28 years ago and this is certainly nothing new, but.....

It's a polymer urethane that can be poured into pretty much anything. This particular stuff is quite stiff but it can be had in varying densities. I was going to do the sub frame bushings for the e28 so I figured it may be worth it to use the rest on the 323. As a result I did the sub frame and control arm areas with the leftovers.

For the sub frames I Dremel moto tooled and cut a lot of the rubber out of there (it's a pain), just so there's enough to hold the center in place. I plugged up the bottem side with silicone to keep the goop from going all over and simply poured it in once the silicone had dried enough to plug everything.

My personal experience has been this particular mixture is as stiff as aftermarket bushings, yet a fraction of the price. I did 4 subframes (e21 and e28) and the control arms and still have a lot left over. The cost of the stuff plus shipping was about $25. It can be had at Mcmaster-Carr and their delivery is unbelievable. I ordered it at 2pm yesterday and it got here today.

JJG323   Posted Saturday, Feb 3rd 12:38am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1307

Reading MA USA
1979 BMW 323i
any pics of the finished product?
I would also like to take a look at the rear subframe bushings.

pjs323i   Posted Saturday, Feb 3rd 1:57am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
so you just pour it in? Looks like an interesting project I didn't think to do that! Got a step-by-step guide or is it pretty straight forward?

Bill in MN   Posted Saturday, Feb 3rd 2:02am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 95

Minnesota USA
You're pretty much looking at the finished project. It's not pretty by any means but it does get the job done. Once it's dry a wire wheel will clean up the excess.

Yeah, you just pour it in and let it cure. I have them on one of my e28's and they're almost too stiff so I went with a softer compound on this batch.

They may not be as good as machined urethane bushnings for competition purposes but for everyday street use they're just fine.

Madhatter   Posted Saturday, Feb 3rd 7:44am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 103

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
Yeah, a few guys on bimmer forums have done it now. Definately a good mod for very little cash.

TJ   Posted Saturday, Feb 3rd 9:58am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 20

NY, USA
82 528e2i 84 320i/4 80 320i
I really want to do this. Did you drop the rear crossmember to fill the bushings or did you figure a way to squirt that stuff in there with it still on the car?

Madhatter   Posted Saturday, Feb 3rd 10:04am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 104

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
you need to take them out.

ArnZ   Posted Wednesday, Feb 7th 9:00am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 64

Qld, Australia
BMW 323i
mate of mine said i shud try and get some aluminium bushings made up for my rear subframe to get it extra stiff, would this be possible?

Madhatter   Posted Wednesday, Feb 7th 10:04am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 106

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
no, you need give in the bush, thats the whole point of having them. No give will result in tearing something out of the chassis or breaking something in the subframe, or something stupid like that.

You really dont want it that stiff.

ArnZ   Posted Wednesday, Feb 7th 1:04pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 65

Qld, Australia
BMW 323i
ahh okay then. thanx Madhatter

pjs323i   Posted Tuesday, Mar 6th 1:49pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
how much for a set of front bushes?? and where to go to get some that have good performance and quality

Madhatter   Posted Wednesday, Mar 7th 11:21am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 132

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
Ive tried a few suppliers and havent had any luck

Fulcrum (super pro) have a listing for front control arm bushes but they are no longer in production (or from what they told me). Maybe if enough people get together might be able to convince them to do another run off, i know i could do with about 3 sets.

Edit: keep in mind there is a difference in the early and update model control arms too, the bushes are different.

jrcook320   Posted Wednesday, Mar 7th 9:13pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Van Wert, OH
'81 320i
e21parts.net sells control with their poly bushings installed, and they sell pressure cast poly filled subframe mounts.

I like the idea of filling the control arm bushings. I've been toying the idea of doing that or designing my own and having my machine shop turn them up for me.

Here's the pics and the writeup I did for my rear subframe mounts:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/785257/7

beemer 335i   Posted Saturday, Mar 17th 9:04pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 4

Beneden-leeuwen gld holland
E21 323i
Hi from holland this is interesting stuff where did you get it? in the us or europe. thanks antoine

davethedog   Posted Monday, May 7th 12:22pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 168

Northants, England
E21 320
Madhatter wrote:
no, you need give in the bush, thats the whole point of having them. No give will result in tearing something out of the chassis or breaking something in the subframe, or something stupid like that.

You really dont want it that stiff.

I was wondering about this. My dad installed soild mount on his E21 race car, it he said it improved the handling no end. I t did not have any effect on the chassis i.e. cracking the surrounding area. But this was a race car running on a smooth track having an hour's use twice a month.
I was considering doing this to my road car, comments please.

jrcook320   Posted Monday, May 7th 11:19pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Van Wert, OH
'81 320i
I think I'm going to try to fill my front arms using the same method, but I'm also going to try to make a mold, similar to the one I did for my subfram bushings, so the poly fills up to the level of the center shaft of the bushing. This will provide a broad area for the washers to clamp down on the whole bushing, thus further limiting fore and aft movement of the control arm.

beemer 335i wrote:
Hi from holland this is interesting stuff where did you get it? in the us or europe. thanks antoine

We bought ours from mcmaster.com which is a US based company (actually in Ohio just a few hours from me). They are one of the biggest manufacturing suppliers in the US. I don't know if they will ship internationally or not.

Do a google search for "poly urethane casting compound" or something and see if you can find something local.

NSR21L   Posted Sunday, May 13th 12:38pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 30

Sydney NSW
BMW E21 323i
could i get the details of who makes this polymer urethane in a can in the United states, i could probably order it & ship to Sydney

Thanks

Simon

NSR21L   Posted Sunday, May 13th 12:45pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 31

Sydney NSW
BMW E21 323i
lol sorry, please disregard that last question. Also is there only one type of polymer urethane? or several different types? hardness wise, all i want is a suitable polymer urethane for use on the road.

regards,

Simon

NSR21L   Posted Sunday, May 13th 12:59pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 32

Sydney NSW
BMW E21 323i
Is this the liquid urethane that i'm after?

80D High Modulus, FDA Compliant
Casting System

this is from the Forsch polymer corp.

Simon

Bill in MN   Posted Sunday, May 13th 4:40pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 140

Minnesota USA
Bingo

The higher the number the stiffer the material is once cured.

I used 80 as well and it's much stiffer than stock.

NSR21L   Posted Monday, May 14th 9:23am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 33

Sydney NSW
BMW E21 323i
kool thanks for that bill

Simon

erzengel   Posted Thursday, Jul 5th 7:12pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 7

Franktown, CO USofA
1980 323i
http://www.mcmaster.com/ Page 3495. That should give you all the casting info you need on durometer ratings for the casting compounds.

chupchup   Posted Friday, Jul 6th 5:33pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 229

Singapore
320m20
I was gonna change the bushes on my 320/6, Enquired onthe superpro bushes. Appears that they have most of the bushes for the E21. I can recheck my email if anyone is interested.

I am keen to order the bushes for the control arms. Which beings me to this question - the original bush on the control arm is a rubber insert, is it that difficult to remove the the original rubber bush?

Madhatter   Posted Saturday, Jul 7th 8:29am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 231

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
superpro dont have the control arm bushes anymore. They have a part number in the catalog, but they dont have a listing when you try to order.

chupchup   Posted Saturday, Jul 7th 4:36pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 230

Singapore
320m20
Yes that was what I found out. I m gonna talk to them about it. This bush is used on the E28 and 24 as well.

If I can convince them to do a batch would anyone be interested?

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.