General Forum : Interior face lifts...

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - Interior face lifts...
Dr. Z   Posted Saturday, Feb 10th 4:16am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 6

Adelaide, South Australia
1980 323i euro spec
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I've had my 1980 323i for about 3 months now.

I was wondering about giving the interior a bit of TLC. I've got black carpet (probably a DIY job, it doesn't fit very well) a black parcel shelf, tan vinyl door panels and tan fabric seats.

It's a bit of a clash of colours IMHO.

Has anyone got a vinyl repairer to change the colour of doorpanels, seats, or anything like that?

What do you guys suggest I could do?

BarryA   Posted Tuesday, Feb 13th 9:46pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 182

Sacramento CA
81 320
How correct / original do you want to keep the interior? V

inyl can be "dyed" fairly successfully (especially the door and side panels that don't get a lot of wear); a lot of E21's came with black interiors, so original black side panels and seats shouldn't be too hard to find. Cars with black interiors came with "salt & pepper" gray moulded carpets - the carpet's really pretty durable, so if you can find a fairly well maintained car in a wrecking yard (or being parted out) you might get lucky and find good carpets.

If you want to upgrade the interior and aren't too concerned about originality, it's fairly easy to fit E30 sport seats in place of the factory front seats - at least on the "post face-lift" cars (80 and newer), the inner tracks bolt up - the outer mounts need to have the height reduced about an inch.

melloh   Posted Tuesday, Feb 13th 10:33pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 475

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
Just noticed you're in australia... too bad... cuz I'm planning to strip the entire interior of my car. it's all black vinyl with recaros.

Also, I thought leather could be re-dyed, but wasn't aware vinyl could be. Huh... learn something new every day, eh?

Have you also considered just changing the carpet color to match the interior?

Dr. Z   Posted Wednesday, Feb 14th 10:09am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 7

Adelaide, South Australia
1980 323i euro spec
Thanks, I had no idea vinyl could be dyed in that way. I'm not too set on keeping it 100% original, so that seat mod might be a good one.

I thought about just changing the carpet, but the vinyl (which is in good condition) is really dirty. I guess it could be cleaned up, but I think a black interior would look nicer, you know?

Another interior mod I've been thinking about is to install an e30 dash. I saw a pic of one of those on the bimmerforum. Anyone done one of those?

chupchup   Posted Wednesday, Feb 14th 5:17pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 179

Singapore
320m20
Hey Dr Z, I was in Adelaide a few years back and I met up with a fellow E21 owner.

I guess if u cn put up some pixs, I guess some of us can advise what was original and whats not.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.