- More tire advice
g323   Posted Monday, Feb 12th 7:22am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 88

California
323i 1982
I have
4 13x5.5 rims
4 13x6 rims

and 4 185/70 tires on the 13x5.5. Would it make a significant enough difference to pay to have them moved onto the other rims? half inch mean much?

I also have 4 175/70 tires on the 6inchers, however they are very old(but not cracked)

It has started to rain in california finaly, and ive been hydroplaning alot. What combonation would of my tires would lessen this problem do you guys think?

thanks!

chupchup   Posted Monday, Feb 12th 8:01am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 175

Singapore
320m20
it ain't the rims..........it's YOUR TYRES!!!!!! a new set on any of the sizes will give you new experiences in road holding. BTW 175/70 13 r NOT standard/reccomended sizes for the E21. it is too small.

g323   Posted Monday, Feb 12th 8:20am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 89

California
323i 1982
Sorry for a very maybe stupid add on question then. just to clarify. It would make no difference then to use the 13x6 rims instead of the 5.5 then with the same 185/70 tires? I know they're not great but theyre all i have.

thanks!

ArnZ   Posted Monday, Feb 12th 10:29am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 68

Qld, Australia
BMW 323i
no difference mate

i put on some rather new tyres that were 175/70R13 on the rear and they had more grip then the 185/70R13 that had almost no tread.

ichiwan2   Posted Monday, Feb 12th 3:12pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 261

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
BMW320/6(e21)
Using smaller that original tyre size will have impact on your speedometer reading. See the tyre size calculator below:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

melloh   Posted Monday, Feb 12th 4:49pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 472

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
if you can, just get 205/60/13. Not many brands make it that size anymore, though. I had stock 185/70/13 michelin mxv4 and switched to 205/60/13 Falken zeix 502 (try big-o tires and have them call the warehouse). They happened to be cheaper, have less sidewall flex, better dry grip, and wet grip seemed the same - one of them rare win-win situations.

g323   Posted Monday, Feb 12th 6:04pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 90

California
323i 1982
http://www.yokohamatire.com/utrimwidth.asp

# Choosing a wider rim: increases vehicular stability, steering response and cornering ability. A rule of thumb is to use a rim width 90% as wide as the tread width (not section width) of a performance tire for street applications. This provides a good balance between performance and ride quality. Always be sure that the chosen rim width is within the tire's range of acceptable rim width specifications.

# Choosing a narrow rim: results in an improvement in ride quality, but may sacrifice the tire's ultimate performance capabilities.

http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=25824

a tire's aspect ratio will change, depending on the wheel you use. "The actual dimensions of a tire are dependent on the rim on which it is mounted," says Yokohama "The dimension that changes the most is the tire's section width--a change of about .2 inches for every .5-inch change in rim width.

what i really want is less hydroplaning as this was a big problem this last weekend. However all the litereature talks about wider tires causing more hydroplaning, but nothing about wider rims.

melloh   Posted Tuesday, Feb 13th 4:04am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 473

1980 320is, 1991 318is
as long as the tire width is within the proper specification range, I cannot see it being a noticable variable. For instance, running through the tirerack website it shows the recommended wheel width for each tire.

as for hydroplaning, there are at least 3 variables to consider for your tires - width, tread type/pattern, and tread depth.

Some other have noted that your tread depth may be a significant variable in your hydroplaning.

Perhaps not clearly explained above, but my experience told me that, while wider, the 205 were comparable to the 185s in wet weather because it apparently has better water channeling patterns than the michelins. Tread depth wasn't an issue because I had the 185s from new, also.

Personally, i prefer to get a wider tire w/ better water channeling than the skinny tires. (better dry grip and more stable). also, being in CA, torential rain is not common enough to justify buying tires pretty much dedicated to rain usage. If you don't want to go as wide as 205, I would still try to stick to the stock width of 185. But, if you do not want to buy new tires and want to only find out if the 175's will safely go on 6" rims, then according to Tirerack, yes it should fit safely.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Yokohama&model=AVID+T4&partnum=77TR3T4&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=5

chupchup   Posted Tuesday, Feb 13th 12:18pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 178

Singapore
320m20
A friend had 175/70 13 on his 315, the size was wrong and looked silly.

THe 206/60 13 is also smaller then the specs, and with a standard height suspension the car don't look very right.

The 185/70 13 will fit a 6 inch very well. 165 on the 5.5 inch.

melloh   Posted Tuesday, Feb 13th 9:41pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 474

1980 320is, 1991 318is
Heh... I was trying to avoid the topic of cosmetics and stick to the hydroplaning and performance issue.

But yes, I agree that 205s would not look quite right on stock height suspension. It looks fine w/ my car lowered (H&R on Bilstein Sports). In fact, it gives is a little bit of the old school hotrod look according to my friend. Oh, but it does have its advantages other than performance. Because the tire is wider than the rim, it is VERY difficult to get curb rash on the rim!

as for the super-skinny 175s, whough I have never seen it, I do not doubt that it would be cosmetically unappealing.

g323: where in CA are you???? if you like, you are welcome to slap on my wheels for a test run and see how you like 'em. They've got more than 90% tread on em still (no, not selling them). You can also take a look at the interior bits you asked about earlier.

Oh, and one final note - no matter how skinny, how deep, or how good the tread technology, there is always a point where you will hydroplane. No matter what, it's always a good idea to just ease off on that throttle - especially with your nice n torquey baby six (do you feel the jeleousy there?).

g323   Posted Wednesday, Feb 14th 1:35am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 93

California
323i 1982
this last weekend i was hydroplaning like crazy and it really freaked me out.

my wheel situation at the time was 4 13x5.5 with 185/70 tires on there. one wheel severly bent.

I had ordered via ebay a new rim from a guy in oakland, exact same as the one i had bent.

However he sent it wrong and it got sent back. So he emailed and said i should go pick it up and hed give me a set of similar basketweeves that were 6 wide free.

So now i have them and they came with the 175/70 tires(kindof old but good shape). I had the rims and tires checked yesterday and theyre all in great shape.

I did the research and the thinner the tire, the less you hydroplane,

However I dont think putting the 185/70's on the 6inchers would make that big a hydroplaning difference, and the et on the 6 inchers is 13 as apossed to 18 on my BBS 5.5's. So I think that technicaly, performance would increase a small amount and id have a wider wheel base by putting on the 6 inchers.

The only thing is, im not sure if id like how it looks, theyre kindof different looking basket wheeves where the emblem is a different style(ill try to get a photo). Ill put them on to check em out soon.

Boost_me   Posted Wednesday, Feb 14th 2:12am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 106

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
Daamn dude, that's rather a large picture........Resize it a little

g323   Posted Wednesday, Feb 14th 2:41am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 94

California
323i 1982
there we go better? , any idea what kind of wheel that is? who made it?

imaradiostar   Posted Wednesday, Feb 14th 7:54am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1010

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
buy the 15" msw's on ebay! Not my auction, just thought they looked nice.

jamie

Yety   Posted Wednesday, Feb 14th 8:11pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 147

Europe, Romania
320i/6
This is how 205/60 R 13 tyres look on 6 inch rims (sorry for the bad/blurry picture)

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.