Tech Forum : Major (fuel??) Problem |:(

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Major (fuel??) Problem |:(
Boost_me   Posted Wednesday, Feb 14th 1:51am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 105

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
I am having a problem.........When I rev over 4000RPM and then change from say 2nd - 3rd gear for the first 2-3 second's my car cough's and splutter's and then come's good again after then intial 2-3 sec's.........And also when I rev past 4700-5200RPM I run out of fuel and it just litraly hit's a brick wall like a fuel cut or somthing, and one more thing this has only happened 1 or 2 times but the engine will just die when I'm driving.....Depending on the speed I'm doing I select the appropriate gear and drop the clutch and it start's again and run's fine....Please help......I think it's the Fuel-Pump......

Madhatter   Posted Wednesday, Feb 14th 3:37pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 109

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
start with your fuel filter to begin with, its the cheapest thing to replace.

Intank fuel pump problems generally show up in random weirdness, usually when tank levels are at their lowest. So does the problem happen if you have a full (or largely full) tank of fuel?

myersport   Posted Wednesday, Feb 14th 4:13pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 184

east tennessee
'82 320iS. '91 327iC
I'd lean more towards the ignition system, at least initially, judging by your description. Our dizzies can be troublesome if they develop any shaft play.
--Dennis

Boost_me   Posted Friday, Feb 16th 9:38am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 108

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
I was actually thinking about the timing and ingition and stuff too.........When you say shaft play what does that mean?? Is it easy to replace/Rebuild??? I'm very mechanicly minded so if it is able to be rebuilt to be fixed I am able to do the work myself........

Sorry to inform you but my little 323i has an EXTERNAL fuel pump....I dunno what you have but yeah.....Oh yeah it has this problem maybe once a day and it doesn't matter how much fuel is in it......1/4, 1/2, full it will do it....And it's getting harder to start like it will idle for 5 seconds and then it will stall.....(It's manual) maybe my idle's a bit low, but it somtimes happens at 80KMH in 3-4th gear at like 3000RPMish depended on gear......Trips me out....I dunno what to start with.......Help me please

Madhatter   Posted Friday, Feb 16th 10:37am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 113

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
Sorry to inform you dude, but 323i's, in particular ones delivered here have 2 fuel pumps.

An intank lift pump, plus an external main fuel pump. When the internal pump fails the car still runs but it places added strain on the main pump which does wear out given time. Weirdness like big flat spots, miss firing at higher rev ranges, stalling, etc are signs of the pump failing, in particular if the above happens depending on fuel levels.

Bill in MN   Posted Friday, Feb 16th 3:46pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 109

Minnesota USA
1988 735, 1986 535 turbo, 1981 Baur 323i
My 81 323 came equpped with only one external pump. It was my understanding that all 323's post '80 had 2 pumps but they must have been short on parts that day Regardless, it suffered the same isues. The single pumps were prone to vapor lock and did all kinds of wierd things, hence going to 2 pumps.

Boost_me   Posted Saturday, Feb 17th 5:23am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 109

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
Yeah I must agree, I beleive my car only has 1 external fuel pump......If anyone know's how to fix this problem please let me know....Thank-you

Madhatter   Posted Saturday, Feb 17th 8:00am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 114

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
I beg to differ, ive never seen one down here that didnt have the internal pump fitted. They even have part numbers for them, check bmwe21.net and have a look at the few people who have had problems with the intank pump. Honestly, its 2 bolts and a couple of screws to check, just pull the bottom of the back seat out and remove the panel to the fuel tank. Should find a couple of fuel lines, plus a couple of electrical connections.

Boost_me   Posted Saturday, Feb 17th 3:29pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 111

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
I must say that I have seen that little round plate under my rear seat so you may be correct.....I shall have a look at it tommorow......See what comes of it..

Hadrian   Posted Saturday, Feb 17th 3:50pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 12

Australia, Melbourne
E21 323i
I have an internal too.

Boost_me   Posted Monday, Feb 26th 5:32am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 115

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
OK....so I went to the pick-a-part's and got a fuel pump out of a 735i e23-e28???I think??? Anyway It was exactly the same just that the depth of the pump to the top of the tank is a little bit more......"Doesn't matter" I thought, "I'll just use the new pump and the old carrier"........There's one problem with the pick-a-part's place I went too......You can't test things you buy and you get no exchange...."It'll work" I THOUGHT......So it came time to test it ( after I cleaned it up a bit and figuered I would use the shorter carrier) and guess what??? IT DOESN'T WORK!!!!!! Now I have 2 dead internal fuel pump's.....NOT COOL MAN!!!!! So I have ordered one from the local BMW Authorised Wreaker's and it's going to come to around $120AUD.....Not too bad......Woulda been good if the other one worked that I got as it only set me back $35AUD....
You live and you learn I guess.....

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.