General Forum : Buzz-Buzz-Ring

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - Buzz-Buzz-Ring
melloh   Posted Thursday, Feb 15th 2:20am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 476

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
Okay, so here's the issue. I'm currently in an SLP (speech-language pathology) masters course and, as part of the requirement, learing audiology. Long story short, my car is slowly causing death to my ears (and yours too, probably)!!!!

Where are some good places to put sound insulation to reduce cabin noises? While slightly more concerned w/ the e30, I imagine the places are identical for the e21.

Hood
Door panels
under the carpet/on floor panels?

Greg323i   Posted Thursday, Feb 15th 7:52am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 291

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
melloh wrote:
Okay, so here's the issue. I'm currently in an SLP (speech-language pathology) masters course and, as part of the requirement, learing audiology. Long story short, my car is slowly causing death to my ears (and yours too, probably)!!!!

I doubt it, I can't hear your car across the Pacific Ocean.

g323   Posted Thursday, Feb 15th 8:03am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 95

California
323i 1982
I've been thinking of doing the other side of the back seat in the trunk, im not sure if it would help too much though. Under the hood I've heard helps a bit, e21parts fred sells a good one for the E21.

Speech Path really? I might be going to a conference at stanford with a speech path major at UOP in a couple of weeks, maybe we could meet up then man, it would be a sunday.

melloh   Posted Friday, Feb 16th 12:24am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 478

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
I think i heard a class announcement on that one. Maybe I should go to it, too. Let me know your plans on it either way - you are welcome to stop by

as for insulation, would under the back seat help much? Really what I'm looking for is what places shoudl I start w/ because they will be the most effective. Anything in the back, while no doubt will help, may not contribute as much and be lower in the hierarchy.

Is there also a way to insulate wind noise from door jams, windows, ______?

ichiwan2   Posted Friday, Feb 16th 7:12am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 263

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
BMW320/6(e21)
Start with the firewall, the tyre well wall (inside passenger cell), floor, underneath the rear seats, up the back of the rear seats, the door panels and if you have the very thin pliable sound proofing material, the frame inside the door (i.e., under the door cards), and the rear quarter panels. You might also want to shove some dense foam into the space connecting the boot and the passenger cell - i.e., behind the quarterpanel cover.

If you can get the stuff, chassis stiffening foam in the sills and b pillar will reduce some of the road noise.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.