Tech Forum : Got some suspender issues

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Got some suspender issues
Bill in MN   Posted Saturday, Feb 17th 2:00am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 110

Minnesota USA
1988 735, 1986 535 turbo, 1981 Baur 323i
The wheels got mounted up today and the car touched ground for the first time in several months and I damn near had a cow. The darned thing looks like a jacked up Camaro in the back while the front is as it should be.

Here's the skinny: Bilst. (non Sport)shocks, HR springs. All parts are the correct number. The springs are spanking new, the shocks have about 5k miles on them. 15x7 rims, 205/50-15 tires. Right now there's about 4" between the arch and wheel.

Anyone got a clue?

imaradiostar   Posted Saturday, Feb 17th 4:10am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1012

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
I've heard they drop over time- reasonable levels after two weeks or so.

If you have access to a machine shop you could always add some cuts to move the lower perch around.

jamie

melloh   Posted Saturday, Feb 17th 6:03am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 481

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
Uhhh.... did you roll the car a bit? flipped subframe bushing?

chupchup   Posted Saturday, Feb 17th 9:58am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 190

Singapore
320m20
did u know that your tyre diameter is smaller then the original tyres? Sometimes that makes the difference.

Did you get the right springs?

sunbeam***   Posted Saturday, Feb 17th 11:49am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 261

wirral UK
1982 323i
You've probably got to add another 120Kg's of bodywork,bumpers,spare wheel,lights,exhaust,fuel tanks and fuel yet that could drop it another 1" but the standard set up is the nose down stance anyway.
My car looked the same untill i bought a set of -50mm lowering springs.

Max   Posted Saturday, Feb 17th 1:31pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 209

OC, CA, USA
85 635CSi euro, 89 325iA
My guess would be that the adjustment of the rear is at the highest notch ( on the shocks). Bilsteins have the adjustment on the back, lower the clip( and perch) on the shock tube and you'll be all set.However, like other mentioned, I'd wait until all the trim and other heavy stuff is installed.

Max

ichiwan2   Posted Saturday, Feb 17th 3:34pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 267

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
BMW320/6(e21)
I think u need to drive it around a little. Had the same problem after my e21 was placed on jack stands for some time. It went back to normal after I moved the car around a little.

Greg323i   Posted Saturday, Feb 17th 3:49pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 292

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
I wouldn't worry one bit. From the looks of the picture you don't have any heavy bits on the back (bumper, top, trim, trunk lid(?)) which will bring the level down. Also, just lowering a car off jackstands does not bring that car down to ride height, you need to at least drive it around the block and it will drop probably an inch. As someone else said, new shocks and springs will drop further after a week or two. I'd wait until it's back on the road for a month before I'd start worrying.

There are also other valid points made, but wait a month before investimagating.

Bill in MN   Posted Saturday, Feb 17th 4:01pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 111

Minnesota USA
Everything's in/on the car except the rear bumper so there isn't much to be gained there. The tire height is lower than before by about an inch. Given the HR springs are supposed to lower the car 1.3" with the Bilsteins I expected a somewhat normal height. There's one perch left on the shock so I'll change that and see what happens.

This isn't the end of the world, more of a "what the heck did I do wrong when I put it together" kind of thing.

sunbeam***   Posted Saturday, Feb 17th 6:48pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 262

wirral UK
1982 323i
Another thing i thought of, did you torque up the rear wishbones with the car on stands or with the weight on the wheels? believe me it makes a difference!

Bill in MN   Posted Saturday, Feb 17th 8:38pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 112

Minnesota USA
I thought of the bushings and they were in fact tightened. After I loosened them there was no difference.

I recall the new suspension I put in the e28 a few years ago took a while to settle in. This one will probably be no different.

imaradiostar   Posted Saturday, Feb 17th 9:47pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1015

Nashville, TN
I'm curious to hear what you think of the fresh H&R's once installed. I'm planning to make coilovers one day but until then the it'll probably be H&R's. They're only 200 bucks and a decent home made coilover setup will end up costing me twice that. More than anything I'm curious how they compare to a similarly equipped e28- the e28 I've driven with a similar setup was about the nicest handling car I've driven.

I've read that the rear end will settle in time. I don't think have the rear a little high is bad either- these cars tend to ride low at the back and I feel like it hurts the handling more than it helps.

jamie

imaradiostar   Posted Saturday, Feb 17th 10:18pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1016

Nashville, TN
I'm curious to hear what you think of the fresh H&R's once installed. I'm planning to make coilovers one day but until then the it'll probably be H&R's. They're only 200 bucks and a decent home made coilover setup will end up costing me twice that. More than anything I'm curious how they compare to a similarly equipped e28- the e28 I've driven with a similar setup was about the nicest handling car I've driven.

I've read that the rear end will settle in time. I don't think have the rear a little high is bad either- these cars tend to ride low at the back and I feel like it hurts the handling more than it helps.

jamie

Bill in MN   Posted Sunday, Feb 18th 4:27am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 113

Minnesota USA
I've Bilie sports/HR's on the e28, which dropped it just over 1.5". Combined with some nasty swaybars on either end and a host of other suspension goodies, that heavy beast has gotten itself out of some interesting situations on more than one occasion . Then again, having around 400hp on tap doesn't hurt either.

I chose the suspension for the e21 based upon my liking how they work on the e28. Apples and oranges perhaps but it is a place to start anyway.

imaradiostar   Posted Monday, Feb 19th 1:39am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1017

Nashville, TN
that's about the nicest looking e28 I've seen- I like the clean dark look!

jamie

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.