General Forum : State of the project

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - State of the project
Bill in MN   Posted Tuesday, Feb 20th 7:32pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 117

Minnesota USA
1988 735, 1986 535 turbo, 1981 Baur 323i
It's getting there!!! With the panel fitment as good as it will get for a 26 year old car that's led a hard life, I can do no more. Today I start sanding it down one last time for the final round of clearcoat and wet sanding.

Mechanically it's pretty much done, save for the damned 1.3 harness that was supposed to have been here a week ago. The suspension problem got dealt with and all that's left on that front is to deal with a nasty pass. side camber issue due to an accident in its past. It looks like camber plates are in order and that ought to be taken care of.

There's still lots of stuff to do, such as get the top on etc. Given our mud and pothole season starts pretty soon there's no way it's getting driven until the end of April anyway. It's nice to have the big stuff done, though.

For the purists, the body has not been messed with and any mechanical mods that have been done are all reversible. I did get a PM from someoneone another board telling me I was desecrating the thing by painting it Henna and doing an engine swap. I had to laugh at that one!

By the way, this project was done 100% in that garage. I'll argue with anyone who says a quality paintjob can't be done at home and this is no 10' paintjob. Time, patience and the desire to learn have resulted in some very rewarding results.

sunbeam***   Posted Tuesday, Feb 20th 9:09pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 265

wirral UK
1982 323i
Excellent job Bill it looks a million $.

I also repaired,prepped and painted my car at home in the garage.
A quality paint job is down to man hours whoever does it, a pro or the average joe. If you spend the time on the prep it will be a proper job, the paint finish can allways be flatted and buffed to perfection.
I estimate i spent over 200 man hours from start to finish and definatley got a better job than £1500 would have bought me at the paint shop.
BTW what was the problem with the rear suspension?

Oh Henna is the #1 colour for an e21 IMHO, I agonised for 3 months wether to keep the origional Polaris silver or do a full colour change to Henna (like my last 323) but decided to keep the Polaris for a change... i still think i made the wrong decision every time i see a Henna e21

M42powered   Posted Tuesday, Feb 20th 9:26pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 694

Arizona, USA
1981 BMW 320i
Very nice. I still want your front spoiler. And I'll pick your brain when I want to do my own garage paint (attempted once).

Bill in MN   Posted Tuesday, Feb 20th 9:43pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 118

Minnesota USA
The ride height was initially very high once the new springs/shocks were installed. I threw a few hundred lbs. in the trunk and let nature take its course. Thanks to the advice of several of the members here, that turned out to be the issue and nothing more.

JJG323   Posted Wednesday, Feb 21st 2:25am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1311

Reading MA USA
1979 BMW 323i
Looking great. But then again I have a thing for e21s that are that color as my 323i is Ibscrott.

Any mods to the engine?

Bill in MN   Posted Wednesday, Feb 21st 3:14am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 119

Minnesota USA
Not a ton's been done to the motor. It's a 2.7 SuperEta bottom end, 885 head with some cleaning up of the ports, "i" valve springs, a mild cam and Motronic 1.3 w/ chip. While it won't set the world on fire, it's plenty for this car.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.