Tech Forum : Hose P/N

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Hose P/N
melloh   Posted Friday, Mar 2nd 2:10am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 499

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
I'm trying to locate a hose but haven't found a match (or I might be doing a false negative deal). In meddling w/ the intake bellow, I found a hose that is very out of sorts. The problem is I cannot find a replacement. It had coolant running in it and was attached to the intake plenum to a nipple near where the "5th injector" is. The hose runs toward the firewall and it looks like it connects to the top of the block or bottome of the head (below the breather tube)? Any ideas on the P/N? Also, while I'm at it, there is another hose that seems to carry coolant also attached to the underside of the plenum that runs forward and down - I should replace that one too, so a P/N on that would also be helpful.

BarryA   Posted Friday, Mar 2nd 9:38pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 184

Sacramento CA
81 320
If they're the hoses I think they are, they should be the coolant feed and return hoses for the intake plenum heater (the one running forward and down behind the fuel distributor connects to a nipple on the coolant transfer tube that runs along the left side of the block below the intake manifold).

If memory serves, they're 8mm inside diameter - when I called the dealer about replacement hose, they said it's not a hose they stock, and recommended using the same diameter fuel hose. In my case, there was a bad leak at the coolant tube nipple - the hose itself was very brittle, and had worn clear through from rubbing on a raised boss on the block.

If you wind up replacing the front hose section, be careful about where it's routed so it doesn't rub on any sharp edges.

melloh   Posted Friday, Mar 2nd 10:41pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 500

1980 320is, 1991 318is
that's exactly the one I mentioned on the second portion. It seems they both are identical. The one I pulled off (or rather... apart) was difficult to read. It looks like it was already a non-oem peice b/c I saw "SAE" stamped on it (thats y I couldn't find p/n). I also thought I saw "fuel " stamped somewhere, so thats consistant w/ what you tell me. Hopefully a local Pep boys carries something I can use then. Thanks much!!!

jrcook320   Posted Friday, Mar 2nd 11:25pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Van Wert, OH
'81 320i
sounds right to me. You should be able to find replacement hose sold by the foot at any autoparts store.

melloh   Posted Saturday, Mar 3rd 2:49am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 501

1980 320is, 1991 318is
sweeeeet. it's a done deal (finally, something 'accomplished'). Got some 5/8" tubing (7.9mm) and put em in. No more noticable coolant leaks! The car had been slowly leaking coolant for years, maybe it was this and ot the radiator. I sure hope so! Thanks again for setting me straight, gents. Now, to see about that fuel pressure issue.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.