-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

Tech Forum : Quick and cheap perfromance upgrades!

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Quick and cheap perfromance upgrades!
elias_11   Posted Sunday, Mar 4th 11:05am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 5

Australia
1982 BMW 323i
Hey everyone. Im new around here and was wondering what a few cheap performance upgrades are available? Ive figured a pod filter of some sort, ive already got an exhaust system on there, what else? Strokers are out of the question, so are turbos.
Also do e30 brake disks bolt straight up to the 323i? And what other cars suspension, eg springs and shocks, can be bolted up without too much modification?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ichiwan2   Posted Sunday, Mar 4th 5:52pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 270

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
BMW320/6(e21)
Run earthing/grounding cables to your block, firewall, alternator, compressor (if any) and any other electrical part that needs earthing.

Your AC should be cooler, engine firing would improve etc, etc. Do a search on earthing on Google.

I also use voltage stabilisers as well.

JJG323   Posted Sunday, Mar 4th 11:14pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1313

Reading MA USA
1979 BMW 323i
Increasing the displacement to 2.8 liters by using an eta block.

g323   Posted Sunday, Mar 4th 11:40pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 100

California
323i 1982
Any good kits for an E21 to do this earthing?

Madhatter   Posted Monday, Mar 5th 1:25am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 131

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
JJG323 wrote:
Increasing the displacement to 2.8 liters by using an eta block.

I do believe he said they were out of the question

elias_11   Posted Monday, Mar 5th 9:21am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 7

Australia
1982 BMW 323i
Earthing, very interesting. I never thought of that, but what harm could there be in trying.

Having the stroker would be nice, but unfortunately unless i win something soon, preferably money, i cant afford it .

Thanks for the help guys!

pjs323i   Posted Monday, Mar 5th 10:49am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
Pod filters wont do anything for kjet just a gigatic waste of money they are no where near as effecient as what is already on there.

best cheap modification is no modification. Do it once: Do i right. especially with a car like the e21... The earthing is a very good idea, but take my advice and go to dick smith and get a multimetre for $10, check everything out for yourself.

If you want to do air intake mods, get a K&N panel filter to replace whats in there and make a nice cold air intake...then get a full 3"exhaust

Just my advice...

ichiwan2   Posted Monday, Mar 5th 3:33pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 274

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
BMW320/6(e21)
"Any good kits for an E21 to do this earthing?"

U could use any thick cable with 5mm diameter copper core strands with connectors or you could get off the shelf/kits items such as:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUTH-PIVOT-RAIZIN-VOLT-STABILIZER-Grounding-Cables_W0QQitemZ130084990690QQihZ003QQcategoryZ43120QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GROUNDING-EARTHING-WIRES-CABLE-KIT-CIVIC-200SX-LANCER_W0QQitemZ110064298063QQihZ001QQcategoryZ72205QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

jrcook320   Posted Thursday, Mar 8th 2:27am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Van Wert, OH
'81 320i
pjs323i wrote:
Pod filters wont do anything for kjet just a gigatic waste of money they are no where near as effecient as what is already on there.

best cheap modification is no modification. Do it once: Do i right. especially with a car like the e21... The earthing is a very good idea, but take my advice and go to dick smith and get a multimetre for $10, check everything out for yourself.

If you want to do air intake mods, get a K&N panel filter to replace whats in there and make a nice cold air intake...then get a full 3"exhaust

Just my advice...

I wouldn't go any larger than 2.5" on a 323i. 3" exhaust is way to large unless you are pushing some serious power (well over 200). I'm running 2.5" exhaust on my 220 hp turbo m10.

Here's a quick list of a few off the top of my head, there are many more:
-Belt driven fan delete, install electric cooling fan. -$35 for 14" hayden fan on ebay

-Mount battery in trunk -$50 for trunk mount kit at summitracing.com

-cold air intake - $100 on ebay or racetep.com or make your own for less.

-advance your timing a few degrees

-DIY urethane filled subframe mounts and front control arm bushings -$26 at mcmaster.com (see DIY thread)

-pushbutton start $10 at autoparts store (see link)
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=617587&highlight=end

pjs323i   Posted Thursday, Mar 8th 4:29am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
isn't the motor in question an m20??

jrcook320   Posted Thursday, Mar 8th 4:49am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Van Wert, OH
'81 320i
uh... derrr.. yeah.

so ignore any m10 stuff in there.

Hadrian   Posted Thursday, Mar 8th 5:30am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 15

Australia, Melbourne
E21 323i
Interior strip

pjs323i   Posted Thursday, Mar 8th 11:14am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
Hadrian wrote:
Interior strip

lol then you dont have to give anyone lifts anymore!

Hadrian   Posted Friday, Mar 9th 8:42am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 16

Australia, Melbourne
E21 323i
pjs323i wrote:

lol then you dont have to give anyone lifts anymore!

Yep, but it only takes a few minutes to chuck the rear seats back.

pjs323i   Posted Saturday, Mar 10th 12:28am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
well tell them that you need a special tool that only exists in a magical dream land of pixies and warlocks and that if they really want a lift they are going to have to go on a soul searching adventure to find it deap within the woods of that land...

...or they could take the bus

elias_11   Posted Monday, Mar 12th 7:26am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 10

Australia
1982 BMW 323i
Haha guys! That wouldnt be such a big problem anyway with the new p plate laws in NSW, i would only be allowed one passenger anyway after 11. Thats why ive been thinking of stripping the interior and putting in the two fixed back race seats i won on ebay in. Should look cool, and give more support then the E21 seats . REady for the track!

pjs323i   Posted Monday, Mar 12th 11:37am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
hahaha i live in ACT and could get my p's off after a 1 day course after 6 months of my p's and get 8 points on my licence... and you guys have to go through 3 years of p's

Hadrian   Posted Monday, Mar 12th 1:10pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 18

Australia, Melbourne
E21 323i
elias_11 wrote:
Haha guys! That wouldnt be such a big problem anyway with the new p plate laws in NSW, i would only be allowed one passenger anyway after 11. Thats why ive been thinking of stripping the interior and putting in the two fixed back race seats i won on ebay in. Should look cool, and give more support then the E21 seats . REady for the track!

Hmmm well it's probably illegal to change your car to a two-seater unless you notify vicroads. I think maybe you need an engineers certificate as well??

elias_11   Posted Tuesday, Mar 13th 7:52am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 12

Australia
1982 BMW 323i
NSW sucks in respect to the new p plate laws. MAybe i should move to the ACT!
Yeah, you have to notify the rta that its a two seater and it will change the rego sticker, thats about it. But it doesnt need an engineers certificate because as long as you dont take out any metal you retain the structural rigity of the car. As for the racing seats, i may need to get an engineers certificate to ensure theyre mounted correctly.

Greg323i   Posted Tuesday, Mar 13th 3:39pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 302

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
I'm sure that once you change your car into a two-seater that your insurance doubles as well.

They get you coming and going.

jrcook320   Posted Tuesday, Mar 13th 6:45pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Van Wert, OH
'81 320i
Wow, i guess I have it pretty good here. No e-check, no regulations (that are inforced, anyway) to the modifications done to the vehicle. Mine's a 2 seater and the insurance company couldn't care less.

ArnZ   Posted Thursday, Mar 15th 10:56am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 77

Qld, Australia
BMW 323i
in qld if u take out your rear seats u need to get a mod-plate, and it also means your can never be a 5 seater again only a 2 seater

mind you this is in QLD, i dunno wat the rules are for NSW or VIC

melloh   Posted Thursday, Mar 15th 9:14pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 511

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
I should think that insurance would love it in that there is goign to be lower probability of multiple passengers, therefore fewer liabilities. But, they might be tempted to raise premiums b/c 2-seaters are more likely to be driven more "aggressively", I imagine?

Madhatter   Posted Friday, Mar 16th 10:34am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 137

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
It doesnt mean you can never, it just means you need to pay to have another plate fitted to return it to 5 seater status.

Never heard of any difference in insurance for a 2 seater or 4/5. Bikes are different, but i dont think it makes a whole lot of difference for passenger cars. CTP coverage is identical as they simply go on class, full comp largely depends on a whole host of other factors, not so much how many seats you have (though removing some would probably be considering a modification, so it could possibly put the premium up).

pjs323i   Posted Friday, Mar 16th 11:50am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
mmm seems too much trouble for a few kilo's dont ya think?? if you where that serious you'd do a semi roll cage and racing seats just to make the money for licenceing the car all worth it...

jrcook320   Posted Saturday, Mar 17th 12:19am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Van Wert, OH
'81 320i
pjs323i wrote:
mmm seems too much trouble for a few kilo's dont ya think?? if you where that serious you'd do a semi roll cage and racing seats just to make the money for licenceing the car all worth it...

yeah, my rear seat came out to make room for a 4 point roll cage. I didn't have the heart weld on the front section of the cage to make it a permenantly installed 6 point setup.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.