-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

Tech Forum : How much of a problem is old gas?

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - How much of a problem is old gas?
DP57   Posted Thursday, Mar 22nd 2:00am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 21

CA, USA
'82 320i, '94 318i
I just wanted to check in with you guys about old gas before I proceed. It's been sitting for three years now with no stablizer (was supposed to be a weekend job ...sheesh) and I've finally finished procrastinating...the motor is back in and ready to be fired. I pulled a sample from the tank and it doesn't smell too bad. I burned some off in a pie tin and it smelled a little bit like kerosene. Three years doesn't seem quite like forever, but I want my car back so bad, not a car full of old gas that doesn't run. Can I harmlessly give it a try or am I asking for trouble?

Boost_me   Posted Thursday, Mar 22nd 2:18am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 150

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
Is the tank full?? If not I would use a mix of old and new fuel (no more than 50% old fuel though).......If it's full I would drain it and start fresh......Plus check ur tank inside's as fuel and tank's alike seem collect moisture in them and this causes rust inside the tank....If there's no rust and you mix it I couldn't see why you couldn't use it......

realcrouton   Posted Thursday, Mar 22nd 2:32am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 116

Washington, USA
1977 320i, 1981 323i, 1991 325ic, 2000 328i
The trouble with old fuel is the formation of varnish in the fuel system components, ie lines, pump, distributer, injectors etc. If the fuel has turned to varnish in these items then you may be in for some trouble. As for a tank of three year old gas, I'd drain it and fill with new. I had this same question with a boat this summer, both tanks were full of gas (about 80 gallons) and needless to say we didn't want to buy all that gas again, but it had been sitting for almost five years and we didn't want to chance it.

Anyhoo...my two cents.

-Dave

DP57   Posted Thursday, Mar 22nd 2:40am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 21

CA, USA
'82 320i, '94 318i
The tank is definitely not more than half full, but as you say the varnishing is what worries me...I'm feeling optimistic though with mixing new gas...(read: feeling anxious to try)

Someone stop me!

jrcook320   Posted Thursday, Mar 22nd 3:15am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Van Wert, OH
'81 320i
May as well try the new gas and maybe throw in a bottle of fuel system cleaner.

If it runs like crap all you have to do is drive enough to burn that tank off.

DP57   Posted Thursday, Mar 22nd 3:53am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 21

CA, USA
'82 320i, '94 318i
Well, rats...Went to put in the spark plugs to give it the go juice and found out that they gave me the wrong plugs Anyone else have more failures than success with PepBoys--I tell ya...

Maybe tomorrow will be the day

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.