General Forum : Radiator suggestions?

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - Radiator suggestions?
melloh   Posted Sunday, Mar 25th 9:26am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 513

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
It's a stock m10 (1.8L) manual. My radiator leak is really bad now, and the wonders of tax returns has finally allowed me the funds to buy a replacement (WOOHOO!). I still would like to spend not-too-much (say under 300, under 200 if possible). But, I intend to use this car on track mostly, so what are my options? Also I would like to remove the engine driven fan eventually (i know it has been done often). I recall mentions of Griffin radiators from Summit racing? But, i wouldn't know which one to get... As always, any advice is appreciated!

KenDanielson   Posted Wednesday, Mar 28th 7:46am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 192

Petaluma CA
'82 320is, '78 320i
Any radiator from a hot rod shop will have too large of neck fittings-they are set up for detroit v8's. Ron Davis will custom make a radiator for you but that's pretty big $$.

I installed a Volvo cross flow radiator in my '82 with just a little work and it worked pretty well.

Here's the url to the page: http://www.e21motorsports.com/kendanielson/radiator_upgrade.html

hope this helps some.

ken

melloh   Posted Wednesday, Mar 28th 11:13am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 514

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
Thanks for getting back to me. I did see your website in a google search, but was discouraged by the no-fill. Further search and I saw a scorpion? from a mitsubishi someone posted. But, in search of avoiding mods, I found an aluminum one from top-end in Hollywood, CA. I lose the aux fan switch, but no mods needed. They say it handles track events on hot summer days and turboed cars, so it should be more than enough for my stock car and I'm going to be in the Hollywood neighbohood this weekend, so for just over 200, I'm most likely going to pick this up. Thanks again, though!

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.