Tech Forum : Leaded VS Unleaded

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Leaded VS Unleaded
Boost_me   Posted Tuesday, Mar 27th 6:49am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 158

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
I was wondering if I can convert my car to unleaded fuel.....It's a 323i with a M20B23, I am looking at converting to L-Jet too as you all know, but can I also convert to Unleaded fuel?? What do I have to change or do to my engine to mak it able to run on Unleaded?? Thank's in advance....

Matt

ArnZ   Posted Tuesday, Mar 27th 7:04am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 78

Qld, Australia
BMW 323i
hey matt

i run bp ultimate 98 octane without any leaded substitutes. havent had any problems with the car for over a year now and didnt need to do anything to the engine. my engine is completely stock btw

Arno

Greg323i   Posted Tuesday, Mar 27th 10:15am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 306

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
Yeah, BMW started using valves for unleaded long before it was mandatory here, probably because of the US market. I've been running unleaded since I've had my 323i for almost 3 years now, no problems.

Boost_me   Posted Tuesday, Mar 27th 11:01am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 159

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
What year are your car's?? I'm sort of a bit scared to just stop using lead substitute.....

ArnZ   Posted Tuesday, Mar 27th 1:21pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 79

Qld, Australia
BMW 323i
my engine is from an 82

mate ull be fine running unleaded, as long as its 98 octane ull hav no problems

pjs323i   Posted Tuesday, Mar 27th 1:39pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
Two cars (orgininaly leaded cars that is) will run unleaded without a problem or damage to the valves, they are:
a datsun (god bless 'em) and a pre 83 BMW. Why might you ask?? because of the metals used in the head.

That being said, only use Shell and BP all the others have nasty petrol, especially woolies. don't put that in your tank unless you want to go down the road and do a U turn and fill it up agian...

!!!Only use Premium High Octane!!!

Valve saver is a load of garbage in our cars... I was sceptical but everyone BMW speciallist i have spoken to says the same.

pjs323i   Posted Tuesday, Mar 27th 1:43pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
PS owned the car for 18 months and used valve saver twice when i first brought it, every other time i use Shell Optimax petrol. Previouse owner (from new might i add) did the same when leaded was fazed out in australia.

MayanArch   Posted Tuesday, Mar 27th 3:28pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1251

Florida, USA
Baur E21 2.7 1982, Baur E30 318i 1985, 323i 1978
I doubt there was a leaded/unleaded variation in the M10 and M20 engines..........especially inside the head.

Why would BMW do this? There is no advantage to crating different cylinder head designs.

"Thats just my opinion.......I could be wrong."

Madhatter   Posted Tuesday, Mar 27th 4:09pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 140

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
its not the head, its just the valve seats which are a softer metal.

You dont have a problem with E21's though, the majority of the heads come with hardened valve seats and will stand up to the abuse they take when running. There is a list of vehicles that come with hardened seats out there, do a websearch.

The only thing they reccomend is you run a fuel with a minimum 96ron rating which is equivilant to the original leaded fuel. They also reccomend you run a course of lubricant through the motor every 4-5 tanks to keep everything sweet. Ive got a bottle of it and just put a squirt in when ever i remember, but it really isnt that big a deal.

Boost_me   Posted Wednesday, Mar 28th 12:42am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 161

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
Thank's heap's guy's....next time I fill up I'm going to use Optimax and cross my finger....lol....Na it should be fine........Thank's for the help....What's this engine flushing/cleaner stuff your talking about Madhatter??? Ok I'll let you all know how it goes......

Madhatter   Posted Wednesday, Mar 28th 12:13pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 142

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
lubricant.

UCL, upper cylinder lubricant.

Morreys and a couple others make it, valvesaver is a brand name, not really just a product as such.

Boost_me   Posted Wednesday, Mar 28th 4:06pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 164

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
This morning I converted to Optimax (98 RON)....Seem's to be running fine, would there be any auditable difference?? Would I hear it doing any damage if it was???

melloh   Posted Wednesday, Mar 28th 9:41pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 515

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
pjs323i wrote:

That being said, only use Shell and BP all the others have nasty petrol, especially woolies. don't put that in your tank unless you want to go down the road and do a U turn and fill it up agian...

!!!Only use Premium High Octane!!!

That's almost exactly what my mechanic was lecturing me about a few years ago. Highest octane possible (94 if possible, but we only get 91 here). Only difference is he recommended stay away from Shell and the cheap gas stations, and recommended using 76 and Chevron (and some others). I can't recall why, but as long as I can afford to, I will follow his infinite car-wisdom blindly...

BruceH   Posted Thursday, Mar 29th 12:09am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1110

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
1. BMW valve seats have been hardened since the '02 days. The additive won't hurt but really isn't needed.

2. If the engine calls for 89 RON octane and you are running 94 all that is accomplished is that you are wasting money. All due respect to your mech but if he is telling you to run 94 in a low compression engine his advice is specious.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.