Tech Forum : rear mount turbo pics

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - rear mount turbo pics
redmist   Posted Sunday, Apr 1st 2:22am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1038

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
getting there, the e21 is screaming at me to finish this damn thing.
http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/redmistmotorsports/e30/

Boost_me   Posted Sunday, Apr 1st 3:19am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 168

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
It's very nice and a great idea....one problem....Aren't those pipe's to and from the turbo just a little bit long??Have you calculated pressure drop?? Shorter pipe's = Less PSI Drop!!! I could imagine a painful amount of lag there.....Good luck though....

JJG323   Posted Sunday, Apr 1st 3:45am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1318

Reading MA USA
1979 BMW 323i
Hi.
What type of headers are those?
What type of power does it put down?
What engine managementment system and cam are you running.

You cermaic coated the piston tops..how much was this?

I will be building another motor with my s50 crank, and it will be a turbo except I am going with an equal length mani and mounting the turbo in the engine bay.

Pete may I ask what is the advantage to mounting the turbo in the rear?

elias_11   Posted Sunday, Apr 1st 8:56am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 22

Australia
1982 BMW 323i
Looking good redmist. For all you doubters heres proof that rear mount turbos work. 810hp and 994Nm of torque!
http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/cmc_m5.asp

NSR21L   Posted Sunday, Apr 1st 12:42pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 27

Sydney NSW
BMW E21 323i
WOW NICE JOB REDMIST, dats a setup i've never seen before, although looks good! would be nice to see it go

Boost_me   Posted Sunday, Apr 1st 4:20pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 170

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
That M5 is sick!!! I dunno, I am just used to seeing them in the engine bay with the shortest pipes they can get, And I seriously don't doubt that there will be alot more pressure drop in those long pipes compared to the shorter pipes it would have being mounted in the engine bay....Let us know how you go, I would put a psi monitor at the turbo outlet and also one at the inlet manifold (Just 2 boost gauges) just to see how much pressure you are losing, then you could set it str8....

redmist   Posted Monday, Apr 2nd 4:14am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1039

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
You can read about the advantages of a rear mount setup on the STS website. This is not an STS package but my own design.
Shouldn't be any more lag than a front setup. Intake pipe length is about the same as a intercooler front setup. Think about the air going back and forth in an intercooler, I don't have or need one. Not to mention the air in the pipes is denser (more oxygen) Also don't need a muffler.
My main motivation was lower underhood temps, cooler intake charge, and better weight balance.
The headers are from Ireland Engineering. Running MS2, 42lb injectors, stock "i" cam, super ETA pistons, "I" head, "e" crank. Had the pistons and pins moly coated with ceramic tops, $40 each.
Expecting 300hp (without the nitrous)
You'll be the first to know when it fires up, probably another month of weekends. Just want it done at this point.
I just put on the 50mm wastegate today, added pics...

Boost_me   Posted Tuesday, Apr 3rd 12:32pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 175

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
On a warm day what happen's to the ground?? It get's hot!!! I don't understand why you're running intake pipe's so close to the ground....What happend's if you run over something and it put's a dirty hole in piping?? I've seen holes in exhaust's before but their not really under pressure like a turbocharged engine intake pipe would be.....Also what do mean by and how can you varify that the air is denser?? Like I said before when air is hot it's not dense......Good luck with your project I seriously see that workmanship time, money and effort you have put into this....I'm not here to flame you for your setup, I'm just saying that for a road/race car I think it is a little impracticle, If it were a show-car and you had it on stand's to show of your cool set-up that would suit it better......Good-luck....

imaradiostar   Posted Tuesday, Apr 3rd 4:15pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1037

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
Boost_me wrote:
On a warm day what happen's to the ground?? It get's hot!!! I don't understand why you're running intake pipe's so close to the ground....What happend's if you run over something and it put's a dirty hole in piping?? I've seen holes in exhaust's before but their not really under pressure like a turbocharged engine intake pipe would be.....Also what do mean by and how can you varify that the air is denser?? Like I said before when air is hot it's not dense......Good luck with your project I seriously see that workmanship time, money and effort you have put into this....I'm not here to flame you for your setup, I'm just saying that for a road/race car I think it is a little impracticle, If it were a show-car and you had it on stand's to show of your cool set-up that would suit it better......Good-luck....

Hmmm...too bad the fuel tank is on the bottom of the car too. He might puncture that and make a mess.

It's proven, don't sweat it!

jamie

M42powered   Posted Tuesday, Apr 3rd 7:25pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 704

Arizona, USA
1981 BMW 320i
Which turbo charger are you running? I have more questions as well. I'll save them for later.

Also... BoostMe... This is a perfect setup for a roadrace car. Roadrace cars don't idle at stop lights building temps under the hood. They MOVE. Moving air is forced convection working on the entire surface area of the intake pipe. Not to mention forced convection on the compressor housing. It's a real nice setup and simple to boot.

The only performance loss really is the reduction in heat of the exhaust gases before it reaches the turbine. Hotter exhaust gases equal more pressure.

redmist   Posted Tuesday, Apr 3rd 7:30pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1040

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
Guess we'll just have to see, won't we.
I can't begin to describe how much research I did before I even started.
If you do the same then I'll discuss it. When you say things like "the road is hot" my desire to discuss it further evaporates.

Thanks Jamie for the support.

Boost_me   Posted Wednesday, Apr 4th 1:55am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 177

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
I'm sorry so your trying to tell me that on a hot day your raod's arne't hot??? Well I'd like to go there, Maybe we'd stop buring our feet in Australia........Good luck and hope it all work's good.....I'd be intrested to see Pic's/Video's of the finnished product....I don't mean to put you down at all I have just come purly from a Jap car lifestyle and influence so I obveously incorparate that into my thinking.....Sorry for the negativitly.....Serously good luck

ArnZ   Posted Wednesday, Apr 4th 8:07am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 82

Qld, Australia
BMW 323i
its something different!!!
this is what i love about this project

everyone does the usual turbo in the engine bay, why not change the trend and strut your own stuff

good work mate, mak sure to post more pics and maybe even some videos, i wanna listen to the sound it'll mak.

jrcook320   Posted Thursday, Apr 5th 6:20pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Van Wert, OH
'81 320i
Boost_me wrote:

What happens to the engine bay on a cold day? It gets hotter than the ground does on the hot day. The charge pipes under the car will see much more air flow at a lower temp than the charge pipes in a hot engine bay. The only thing that sees cool air in front mount setup is the intercooler.

What happens when you run over something? you put a dent in your charge pipe, big deal. It would take a lot to put a hole in the piping.

Stop talking until you read up on rear mount turbos. They're just as practical as any front mount setup.

M42powered   Posted Thursday, Apr 5th 7:42pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 707

Arizona, USA
1981 BMW 320i
alright... enough said about hot roads and stuff. Can we keep this thread on track with the subject at hand... lest I lock it.

redmist   Posted Thursday, Apr 5th 10:20pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1041

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
3" INLET DIAMETER (fresh air in)
2" OUTLET (fresh air out)
2.5 Exhaust (Pressure in)
2.5 Exhaust (exhaust out)
50mm Wastegate
WET FLOATING BEARINGS
1/8 NPT OIL INLET
T3/T4 T04E

.57 T COMPRESSOR WHEEL
.50 A/R COMPRESSOR
.63 A/R TURBINE

TURBINE WHEEL:
EXDUCER:2.48"
MAYOR:2.89"

COMPRESSOR WHEEL:
EXDUCER: 2.07"
MAYOR:2.36"

citterly   Posted Friday, Apr 6th 2:36pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 17

Michigan, USA
1979 323i --> M20
You continue to make me laugh out loud!! Way to go! Truely inspirational. I still have your old e12, just don't have the heart to junk it. I found another non-running car for $200, I think I'm going to cut the front end off and attach it to the black car. Now that I have the welding class under my belt, I figure why not. It'd be a fun chassis car project, and great practice at the very least. M30 rear turbo, mmm...
Later
Chris

redmist   Posted Sunday, Apr 8th 6:46pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1042

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
Was going to weld this up but I wanted some opinions first.
http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/redmistmotorsports/e30

Wastegate dump will get merged in.
http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a358/redmistmotorsports/e30/?action=view¤t=P4070068.jpg

SS screen will be welded in to protect the turbo.

This is my street and show setup. For racing just a short turbo down turn and a muffler (speedtrapp insert) on the waste gate dump (noise restrictions.)

Alternatives are the sleeper look,downturn pipes invisible from the rear.
Split side exhaust. Straight out round pipe (wg dump merged in). Two straight out pipes. (Any others?)

Please be brutally honest. Thanks

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.