Tech Forum : good cold starting but bad warm starting

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - good cold starting but bad warm starting
elRodri   Posted Monday, Apr 2nd 7:58pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 2

Guatemala City, Guatemala
1982 323i opalgrün-metallic
Hi everyone! I'm looking for some help... down here in Guatemala there are not many e21 enthusiasts so I'm running out of options to get my car fixed.
The thing is that, after tunnig up the fuel system and getting the fuel accumulator changed because of a hard cold starting. Now I'm having trouble with starting again my car after a 20-30 min. ride and have let the car war for an hour or so. Is this a common issue on a 323i 1982?
I have knocked out a battery a couple of times now...
Pls heeeelp!!!

Boost_me   Posted Tuesday, Apr 3rd 12:21pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 174

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
I had alot of problem's with my E21, but now Ihave it running good, I would look at the Ignition module to see if your getting spark when it get's hot, to check this all you need to do it take a spark plug lead and earth it to somthing that is visable so you can see the spark....This couldbe your problem, it took me over a month to figure it out after change both internat and exturnal fuel pump's and the accumulator, then doing the WUR cleaning process (about 6hr's)......I would start here, you need to rule out what you have and what you don't....Air, Fuel, Spark, Timing...etc.....Good luck...Also what do you mean about knocking out battery's???

elRodri   Posted Tuesday, Apr 3rd 8:11pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 3

Guatemala City, Guatemala
1982 323i opalgrün-metallic
Boost_me wrote:
I had alot of problem's with my E21, but now Ihave it running good, I would look at the Ignition module to see if your getting spark when it get's hot, to check this all you need to do it take a spark plug lead and earth it to somthing that is visable so you can see the spark....This couldbe your problem, it took me over a month to figure it out after change both internat and exturnal fuel pump's and the accumulator, then doing the WUR cleaning process (about 6hr's)......I would start here, you need to rule out what you have and what you don't....Air, Fuel, Spark, Timing...etc.....Good luck...Also what do you mean about knocking out battery's???

Thanks! my battery dies because of so many attempts for srtating the car...
I will check for what you said and let you know. If the ignition module is the problem, should it be replaced with a new one? or could it be fixed or cleaned? what is WUR?

Boost_me   Posted Wednesday, Apr 4th 2:06am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 178

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
If it's the ignition module you will have spark and then it will stop.....Or you will have abosolutly no spark at all....You can't clean an Ignition Module.....You need to go and get a new one....I got mine from a 1980 318i and my car is a 1981 323i...It doesn't matter what e-21 you get it from as long as the fuel system it the same (K-jet, Carby, etc...).....I got mine from the wrecking yard....I think it was like $5....Now a WUR is a Warm Up Regulator....That is a right bitch.....

This one is a pic of the WUR

http://mydrive.roadfly.com/blog/uploads/boost_me_E21_WUR.JPG

And this is a link to the WUR cleaning process.

http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/bmw/bmw_3_series_e21/8293439-1.html

Just to let you know, the WUR cleaning process takes a good 5-6Hr's WITH mechanical knowledge...So if you don't know alot about car's and have a vague memory....Get someone to help you clean it...Although once it's out it's very easy to do.....

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.