-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

Tech Forum : A New Problem.........Braking Department..........

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - A New Problem.........Braking Department..........
Boost_me   Posted Thursday, Apr 5th 3:50am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 179

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
Ok, So on Monday I drove my car and it was fine, my braking was fast effective and it would lock up if and when I wanted......(Like a normal braking system should)......Then on Tuesday I went and did a little bit of work to my car.....I put a temprature gauge and thermo-fan switch in......It took me all day from start to finnish (I made a custom panel for it all to sit in etc...) and it came time to test everything, by this time it was night.....I drove down the end of my court and noticed that when I pushed the brake pedal it felt like I was standing on a brick and I have stuff all braking performance......Now it's Thursday, they still wont lock up and it really does feel like I'm standing on a brick, I have to push damned hard to get anywhere like the previous performance......I have checked the brake fluid and it's fine and when I trun the car off it pushes the brake pedal back up so that tell's me there is pressure in the line's (e.i No vacum leaks)...I am about to go and pull a wheel off to see if anything look's out of place or worn out at all.....Please help.....NO BRAKES = SCARY !!!

pjs323i   Posted Thursday, Apr 5th 6:11am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
same acutally, but a different problem. mines used half the brake fluid since i got it back from the mechanic after my accident...which was a week ago

Boost_me   Posted Thursday, Apr 5th 6:42am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 180

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
Sound's like one of your bleeding nipples is a little loose on your car.....I still can't figure mine out, I just drove her for a bit and it really is like stepping on a damn brick......I duuno what it is as I havn't touched the brakes at all.....

melloh   Posted Thursday, Apr 5th 7:01am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 524

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
did you happen to go under there while doing the wiring for your gadgets? I would first check that nothing is obstructing the pedal movement (like maybe a wire wedged at the arm joint?).

pjs323i   Posted Thursday, Apr 5th 12:56pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
Haynes says:

1) Pad or shoe linings badly worn
2)New pads or shoes recently fitted: not yet bedded-in
3) Harder linings fitted than standard
4)Linings and brake drums contaminated with oil, grease or hydraulic fluid
5) Servo unit inoperative or faulty (which is what i think it is...or your master cylinder)

aussie323i   Posted Thursday, Apr 5th 2:44pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 565

australia
1979 323i
sounds to me like you've accidentally wedged something in the linkage of the brake pedal ... remember on our RHD cars there's a long rod attached to your brake pedal right down to the front of the car.

Either that, or the fact that you were working on the car is just a coincidence?

Boost_me   Posted Thursday, Apr 5th 2:44pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 181

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
5) Servo unit inoperative or faulty (which is what i think it is...or your master cylinder)

I think it's this too.....

melloh   Posted Thursday, Apr 5th 10:26pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 525

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
aussie323i wrote:
sounds to me like you've accidentally wedged something in the linkage of the brake pedal ... remember on our RHD cars there's a long rod attached to your brake pedal right down to the front of the car.

Either that, or the fact that you were working on the car is just a coincidence?

Ditto this, and also check to see that the fluid is flowing freely by a quick bleed and that the pistons are also moving freely. Personally, i like to check the easy (and cheap) things first.

Madhatter   Posted Friday, Apr 6th 1:41am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 153

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
If you have knocked off a vacuum line the servo unit wotn function and the pedal will be rock hard. Have a look in the engine bay, you cant miss the hose that runs to it. Make sure you also check others connected to the inlet manifold.

Phasma   Posted Saturday, Apr 7th 12:12am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 97

Latvia, EU
E21 323i "Phantom"
Help, anybody! Need room in enginebay for multithrottle system!

Anybody knows altenative for brake vacuum booster?

sunbeam***   Posted Saturday, Apr 7th 2:12pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 282

wirral UK
1982 323i
Phasma wrote:
Help, anybody! Need room in enginebay for multithrottle system!

Anybody knows altenative for brake vacuum booster?

Why not go all the way and install an internal bias pedal box?

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/EnlargedImage.asp?url=http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/resources/images/zoom/RIXBIASPEDAL.jpg&cls=MSPORT&%20pcode=RIX218&title=Brake+Bias+Adjustable+Pedal+Boxes

This replaces clutch and brake pedal,gives you bias adjustment front/rear, does away with the servo(booster)and all you will have in the engine bay is 2 fluid resivours.

Boost_me   Posted Sunday, Apr 8th 3:31am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 184

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
That Adustabl Pedal box is AWSOME, Anymore info on it?? Price, Adjustablity....etc??

sunbeam***   Posted Sunday, Apr 8th 1:03pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 284

wirral UK
1982 323i
Adjustment is approx 70%/30% front or rear whichever setup is required, cost in the UK is approx £350 new or £150 second hand for a bog standard unit, have a look on e-bay under motorsport or rally

Boost_me   Posted Sunday, Apr 8th 1:52pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 185

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
Thank's dude that mad.......

Phasma   Posted Tuesday, Apr 10th 4:51pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 100

Latvia, EU
E21 323i "Phantom"
any pic or schematic on how it looks in engine bay?

Boost_me   Posted Saturday, Apr 14th 4:46am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 190

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
So I went outside today determind to find out what is causing my braking problem. It hasn't gotten better or worse over the past week or so. I was out in the garage for about 15 min's looking around lightly touging on vaccum hoses here and there, then I got intreged by this thing under the battery plate....What is that?? It has a line that goes all the way from the LH side of the car to the RH side and then all the way to the back of the car and goes up and disapears at the fuel tank....I'm thinking it's the fuel return line???.....

Anyway so after that investgation I got back to the engine bay and pulling around again......Then all of a sudden I give the main booster vaccum line a little wiggle and look what happend.......DAMN!!!!

So I think this is and always was the cause of my problem's as she seem's kinda crusty for a rubber vaccum hose...lol....I'll get a new one and let you all know if this is the cause of my problem's....

Broken bit: http://e21.tricord.be/members/sunset323i/100_0252.jpg
Engine pic to see where it goes: http://e21.tricord.be/members/sunset323i/Engine.JPG

P.S....Why don't pic's come up when I post them?? I can only see the URL address......any help would be great...

Madhatter   Posted Saturday, Apr 14th 9:05am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 165

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
adjustible bias devices are illegal for street use in the country. It has to be locked.

What you found is the charcoal cannister, its a vent system to trap fumes and suck them back into the intake. The other, reinforced hose (like in the pics you linked) connects to the booster and given it is broken, will probably be the cause.

Doesnt matter even if it isnt the cause, first thing i ever do when getting a new e21 is spend about $30 and replace every single vacuum hose connection under the bonnet.

If that line is cracked or broken the booster wont be supplied and your pedal will be rock hard. Replace it with a section of vacuum hose (still use the 1 way valve from the old section) and you will probably find you have power assistance on your brakes again.

Boost_me   Posted Sunday, Apr 15th 3:35am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 191

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
Oh dude, you have no idea, my brakes are better than they've every been EVER.....I could stop on a dime....yeah that little canister tripped me out because I had no idea of what it was.....Thank's for the info ....

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.