-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

Tech Forum : Steam cleaned engine, now it clunks, help!

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Steam cleaned engine, now it clunks, help!
g323   Posted Saturday, Apr 28th 8:03am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 132

California
323i 1982
I steam cleaned my engine today, and now i get a clunk going over bumps that wasn't there before, will listen more carefully for a better description of the sound.

Any common things that get loose when you steam clean?

what to check? worst case senerio?

Boost_me   Posted Saturday, Apr 28th 10:15am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 197

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
I can't tell you what's wrong, but I can say that BMW as far as I know have ALWAYS advised AGAINST steam cleaning the engine/bay.....Obviously for that very reason.....Keep us posted on what's wrong....

Greg323i   Posted Saturday, Apr 28th 5:09pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 330

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
I would think it's coincidental, but perhaps, if your steering rack bushings were extremely rotted the steam might have finished them off. That's probably where I'd start. There and control arm bushes.

g323   Posted Tuesday, May 1st 1:04am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 133

California
323i 1982
I think its the left wheel bearing, I will confirm tomorrow or day after. I was coming out of a parking garage spiraling down counter clockwise and the left front wheel was clunking. Also from the same area it is now much worse whenever i hit a bump.

Any agreement on the possibility of front left wheel bearing. How dangerous is it to drive around town if so?

Boost_me   Posted Tuesday, May 1st 2:11am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 199

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
To replace a wheelbearing is very easy, cheap and straight forward.........You an do it within an hour or so, I did it in my garage with car stand's......

One of my Unknowledgable mate's did his front wheels bearings and didnt pack them full of grease.....that was and intreasting nite, I had to drive 60-70KLM's with a seized wheel bearing, your wheel will NOT fall off(there is a split pin holding in the spindle nut), mind you I was travelling at 30KLM/H so it wouldn't but the worst that will happen, that I can think of anyway is what happened to us.

It's when you get home and realise the next day that you have to get a whole new strut assemebly because the bearing WONT come off the car, we COULD NOT get the bearing off, it had gotten so hot that it actually welded itself onto the spindle.....DAMN.....So we re-built a new strut....So check it out I know that your bearing probably isnt grease-less but rip the wheel off an check it dude, just make sure it's ok....

g323   Posted Tuesday, May 1st 9:33pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 134

California
323i 1982
so i think its the upper strut bearing now....i jacked up the car and the wheels turn fine.. only thing is, i hit the wheel, and i hear almost the sound of a key hitting an empty tin can, but higher pitch.,,,weird.

Going to get another check tommororow from a diff mechanic. My worst fear is that its the rack . but the thing is, i dont feel this problem so much as hear it...

g323   Posted Wednesday, May 2nd 11:51pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 135

California
323i 1982
Left strut was out completely, Strut mount/bearings are SHOT! I'm overnighting new bearings and new shocks from BavAuto as I'm graduating and working and have to commute....hurts....Getting Bilstein Heavy Duties, should be nice!,, but defiantly hurts.

I think what happened is that when i had the engine steam cleaned, he steam cleaned the wheel wells and hit the strut to hard, broke what was left of the old seal. He then shot the water up the towers and cleaned out the bearings(which were probably not in the best of shape either.

Also. BMW put the warning on not steam cleaning the engines 1989 and newer. Honestly i feel that the car runs significantly smoother now that it was steam cleaned, it feels,,,lighter,,, i would recommend it if your engine is as nasty as mine was

g323   Posted Saturday, May 5th 1:18am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 145

California
323i 1982
Cars in the shop now having the struts put in, mechanic just called to tell me the wheel bearings were indeed loose also...

Note then when steam cleaning, look out for the wheel wells! cracks in boots or loose bearings will only have the grease thats left cleaned out of them!

bmw_m_320i   Posted Saturday, May 5th 3:20am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 766

Helena, Montana
none right now :(
I used to routinely wash down engine compartment's when I worked on BMW's. I never had any problems, and I actually found it useful to find vacuum leaks. I did this to all cars, even the latest models. The newer cars actually have excellent water resistant harnesses. I would just use purple power degreaser, and a water hose to rinse the engines off.

g323   Posted Tuesday, May 8th 1:47am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 153

California
323i 1982
new struts are great, they didn't fix the wheel bearing well enough though on the left, its still a little loose,,,gotta go back and have it tightened.

Weirder thing is happening though. All alignment is as straight as can be(as i can only adjust the toe) however if i hit a bump hard, it alternately begins to pull to one side or the other! anyone ever heard of this?

its really strange, any help would be appreciated!

melloh   Posted Tuesday, May 8th 2:29am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 554

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
this wobble may be related to the loose wheel bearings. Have the bearings checked first then test.

g323   Posted Wednesday, May 9th 2:13am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 156

California
323i 1982

g323   Posted Wednesday, May 9th 2:13am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 157

California
323i 1982
Wheel bearings are good, looks like what i had was a sticking rack and pinion....Any way to unstick? lube? This must be the worst of the damage that the steam cleaning did

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.