-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

General Forum : A new addition to the family...

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - A new addition to the family...
pjs323i   Posted Monday, Apr 30th 3:51pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
My 323i and I are proud to annouce a new addition to a our family...

A series 2 318i! (this is the photo i took for the minilite thread it is that EXACT car)

A lovely young lady I go to college with brought it for her first car and decided that it just wasn't for her. (after realising what owning an e21 was like) So here I am wanting new wheels and tyres and an m10 to play with...pick it up on Saturday!

Greg323i   Posted Monday, Apr 30th 5:40pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 332

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
Are those 13" wheels? I really like the car, the colour-coded bumpers are pretty nice, not as tacky as I thought it might look. Pretty clean car, nice find.

chupchup   Posted Monday, Apr 30th 7:39pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 206

Singapore
320m20
I tot we agreed that the "Series 2" is the E30??

Anyway congrads on your new baby, I wish I could do things like this over here.....

Boost_me   Posted Tuesday, May 1st 2:16am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 200

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
Man that's awesome, I read the thread title and saw the pic and was like 'I remeber that car someone at his school own's it'....and sure enough it was the one......Very nice, looks clean from the photo, when you get it put up some real pic's of her.....Noice bro!!

ArnZ   Posted Tuesday, May 1st 11:58am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 91

Qld, Australia
BMW 323i
ahhhh so thats wat the msg was about, sorry i didnt reply didnt have any credit

good on ya mate

pjs323i   Posted Wednesday, May 2nd 2:11am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
Greg323i wrote:
Are those 13" wheels? I really like the car, the colour-coded bumpers are pretty nice, not as tacky as I thought it might look. Pretty clean car, nice find.

they are 14". Its really not that clean just a cheap paintjob in 70's porshe red. She got sideswiped so the otherside is in rather bad nick. The linkage between the gear shifter and the box is stuffed so you kinda have to guess where the gears are and hope that you get the right one And aparently there is something loose in the engine bay that makes the engine sound like its about to blow up, however the engine is in good nick as well as the gearbox. Oh! and the clutch master cylinder is screwed so i hope she makes the 20k trip to my house I dont know that much about it i only wanted the wheels and blistien's so i'll take some piccies on saturday and learn some more about it.

But basically its just a fun car to use for my 323, and a car to use to learn about the m10. Unless one of you QLD fellas want it i'll need to sell it by the end of the year beacuse i can't move to QLD with 2 cars

pjs323i   Posted Wednesday, May 2nd 2:17am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
chupchup wrote:
I tot we agreed that the "Series 2" is the E30??

Anyway congrads on your new baby, I wish I could do things like this over here.....

the series 2 is the post 9/79. But the haynes manual says its the e30...i disagree; the e30 is the e30, it defines a whole new car. A series (to me) is just an update on the same model (i.e. e21 series 1 pre9/79 and e21 series 2 post 9/79 etc)...

ArnZ   Posted Wednesday, May 2nd 9:28am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 92

Qld, Australia
BMW 323i
gear knob plz, pm me with pics

pjs323i   Posted Thursday, May 3rd 5:14am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
sorry dude its a supercheap auto one that looks rather tacky, if you want it pm me

g323   Posted Saturday, May 5th 6:31am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 147

California
323i 1982
ive heard about that before, series 2 e21, i think i posted a question about that before a while back. post 79 they mustof changed alot on the e21

Marquis_Rex   Posted Saturday, May 5th 9:02am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 527

UK
BMW 323i 2.7-as featured in Total BMW Nov 2002,Porsche 911/993TT
More to point-what's wrong with your young lady friend?

pjs323i   Posted Saturday, May 5th 1:52pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
well i got her home on friday. the things wrong with the car are as follows:

-Loose exhaust manifold (explains ticking and lack in power)
-Blown or almost blown Clutch master cylinder (there is clutch fluid all over the pedals, you have to top it up every few days)
-Broken gear shifter linkage
-Bad previous owners (most likely women who have forgotten to service it and rev heads who no nothing and do not respect the e21 bmw)

The things that i did not know about the car are as follows:

-i thought it had cut springs... it infact doesn't! it has new kYB shocks with king springs all around...not that i can use the front springs becuase of the wieght difference between the 318 and 323. but now i only need to buy new front springs!!

-it had a completely unused and original spare tyre!

-unused cigarette lighter (i dont smoke but thats still pretty cool)

-tool kit had a 12mm shifter

-15c of free change!!

I had a marathon of a day trying to get the minilites on the 323. the first problem was that the bolts where too long and therefore sticking to the handbrake on the 323 and not letting it move. The second problem was that they where rubbing up against the front brake calipers (i now know that the 318 and 323 have different brakes all around; i thought it was just the rear disc brakes...) So, after putting the original bolts from the wheels into the minilites for the back and putting the stock wheels on the front the car is now driveable.

And the wierdest thing is, it doesn't pull to one side at all now!!! its as if i've just done the wheel alignment its absolutly fantastic on the road!!! I now have to get rid of the re-treds on one pair (the other pair have brand new tyres, which are on the car at the moment) and get a lathe to trim some of the inside out of the wheel to stop it from rubbing and i'll be set!

detailed piccies of the 318 comming soon!

pjs323i   Posted Saturday, May 5th 1:59pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
oh and another thing: my 323 has a buggered rack and bushings...this car has a brand new rack and bushings. Can i swap them??? are they different??

pjs323i   Posted Saturday, May 5th 2:38pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
A couple of cute photo's...

pjs323i   Posted Saturday, May 5th 2:40pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Hadrian   Posted Saturday, May 5th 4:58pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 35

Australia, Melbourne
E21 323i
Steering rack is the same.

Greg323i   Posted Saturday, May 5th 6:30pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 337

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
The King springs for the front of the 323i are the same thing as those they use on 6 cylinder VB-VN Commodores, so if you're hitting up the wreckers for the springs I'd suggest hitting the Holdens. That's where I got mine. There's also a couple of Holden specific wreckers in Melbourne that advertise the springs in the Trading Post. KHFL-22 for the lowered and KHFS-22 for standard height.

Check the springs that are in there, should be a number on them. Newer have the number stamped in indelible ink on them, olders will have a tag on both springs. I pulled Bilsteins for a 323i from a 318i at the wreckers. Most idiots have no idea of the difference so maybe you have the correct springs on the 318i.

Boost_me   Posted Sunday, May 6th 11:38am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 207

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
You can fit Commodore spring's in these?? Front and rear?? That save's like $250-$300 right there for new spring's........

PLEASE tell me all that fluid under your pedal's isnt ALL from the clutch master??.....I'm hoping to hear you say "Na it was a 'wet' day out and it's just water'.

Otherwise if not water, that's a bad thing......But fixable.

Those shock's are pretty close by the look's of it, or do they (The Tires) taper?? (Are they stretched at all(Tires)??)

Good-luck with it man it look's like it'll clean up really nice......

pjs323i   Posted Monday, May 7th 10:54am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
Boost_me: They aren't that close its just the angle of the photograph and yes it is bleeding from the master cylinder... and i dont really plan to fix it up...its full of Bogger and rust i dont have the time, room or funds to take on such a job, especially when i have a near perfect (rust wise) 323i. It'll be used for the springs and and wheels and a few little bits and pieces that i have already taken off it (mostly interior trims, but i got an unused original spare tyre and lighter!!).

Hadrian: thanks!

Greg323i: i'll have to do some investigating. I hope they are infact 323i/VB-VN Holden springs. Just to confirm what you where saying; I'm looking for KHFL-22 on them in ink??

Greg323i   Posted Monday, May 7th 5:23pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 339

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
It will either be in ink about halfway, or on a tag, like the one in the rear that you posted a picture of. If the tag is ripped off then I'm not sure what you can do. I do have KHFL-22s here, I could count the coils and measure the height if you need me to. They're not on the car yet.

Boost_Me: Reread what I typed. Only the King springs are used on both the Commodores and the E21s. Because they're a progressive rate spring they are able to do that, but a Pedders spring, or anything else would not have the proper spring rate.

pjs323i   Posted Monday, Jun 4th 3:37am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
YAY!! they are KHFL-22's!!! I'm so excited!! i found the tag when i was taking off the minilites and pulled it off...

pjs323i   Posted Monday, Jun 4th 5:47am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
just for the record...here is the kingspring website with the catalogue...e21 is on the first page...
http://www.kingsprings.com/King_Springs_Catalogue.htm

Greg323i   Posted Monday, Jun 4th 7:03am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 358

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
That's great, glad to hear it.

Btw, I have a set of KHFL-47s, if you want to return the 318i to original height. I accidentally grabbed them from a V8 Commodore. They're in great condition. Let me know.

pjs323i   Posted Monday, Jun 4th 7:10am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
Greg323i wrote:
That's great, glad to hear it.

Btw, I have a set of KHFL-47s, if you want to return the 318i to original height. I accidentally grabbed them from a V8 Commodore. They're in great condition. Let me know.

...the 318i will be scrap when i'm done getting parts from her. she's full of cancer and has had a rather nasty bash up the side...not worth fixing. but thanks for the offer

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.