General Forum : More Gas Tank Issues - Euro 316 e21

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - More Gas Tank Issues - Euro 316 e21
PeterCS   Posted Tuesday, May 1st 3:07am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 6

Oakville, Ontario Canada
BMW 316 Baur
When filling up my tank - it would appear that only one of the two tanks are filling because it only takes $35 of gas and the gas meter only records half full.

And then it leaks out the front of the dual tanks!

There is no gas around the O-ring.

Any thoughts?

Peter

melloh   Posted Tuesday, May 1st 9:52am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 547

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
as I understand it, there is a rubber hose that connects the 2 tanks. Likely yours has been clogged/blocked somehow. Others will ahve to give you details on how to replace it, though.

Greg323i   Posted Tuesday, May 1st 5:31pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 333

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
I was thinking along those lines as well, but he the OP said that the gauge was showing 1/2 tank after filling up. If the hose between the two tank was plugged than it should show a full tank.

I can tell you that the leaking fuel is more than likely deteriorated vent lines between the two tanks. I had the same problem and had to drop the tanks to replace them. If you go through that trouble then you can check the hose between the two tanks at that time.

Boost_me   Posted Thursday, May 3rd 3:02am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 203

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
Yeah I seem to leak fuel when I fiil up only, I came go to 3/4 but on full it drip's out.....Unsure where from though as the leak was to high up and I couldn't get to it......

ichiwan2   Posted Thursday, May 3rd 5:18pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 279

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
BMW320/6(e21)
Used to have a leak on top of the LHS tank. Only discovered it after the breather hose got plugged up and decided at the same time to check the condition of the tanks.

Luckily I had a donor car to cannibalise.

You might want to check it out.

Good luck!

Boost_me   Posted Friday, May 4th 7:47am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 206

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
That's weird, depending on what way the breather line's flow, unless their free-flowing ( both way's instead on only one flow directon ) because it's my right hand tank just a little behind the driver's door (RHD). I haven't checked the hose's yet......

ichiwan2   Posted Friday, May 4th 4:39pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 280

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
BMW320/6(e21)
I believe it needs to go both ways - to let excess pressure as the fuel expands as the day heats the car up.

It also needs to let air in so that it does not create a vacuum as the fuel is used up.

The most obvious symptom of a blocked breather hose is when there is a pressure release when you open your fuel cap. One time, I had a nearly full tank and the pressure had built up - fuel spurted out the fuel filler when I opened it.

Boost_me   Posted Sunday, May 6th 11:41am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 208

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
Damn.....That'd be intresting, you go to put fuel in and it spit's it out at you......You'd be like WTF??? Hahaha, yeah I think they go both way's too.....

Oldmanwillie   Posted Sunday, May 6th 1:09pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 23

South Australia
1982 323i motorsport
yeah i get the fuel leaking out the front end of the tank when filled up, makes a nasty mess and is more importantly costing me money.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.