-Thumbnails

General Forum : stock rebuild

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - stock rebuild
greymarket323i   Posted Monday, May 7th 12:20am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

e21
i want to do a stock rebuild on the m20 that came in my 78 323i. just stock nothing special.ive gone thru the search here and have found like 50 posts on strokers but cant seem to find anything on a stock rebuild.i cant find a parts site that has everything ill need. and im not sure whats the same from the other m20 motors in the e30's.

if someone has or can find a link to a site or sites where ill be able to order all of the parts ill need to replace everything and rebuild to stock. please let me know. thanks

g323   Posted Monday, May 7th 1:30am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 151

California
323i 1982
www.bavauto.com. Also many of the parts for the 323 m20 are the same for other m20's. Use realoem.com to get the part numbers and see what is interchangable

melloh   Posted Monday, May 7th 8:27am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 553

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
Also may be worthwile to search the many worldpac websites for oem products.

You can check out:

http://fap99.com/

http://oem.thepartsbin.com/parts/thepartsbin/parts.jsp?year=1991&make=BM&model=318-IS-001

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/catalog/3-Series_Main.htm

among many others.

greymarket323i   Posted Monday, May 7th 8:56am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 2

e21
sucks. im was just hopeing there woulb be a site where i could put in 78 323i and find like all the parts i would need to rebuild it. im talking everybolt,nut,gasket, everything, i want it all new. other than the crank and cam. dose anyone know if any of te e30s used the same parts like rocker arms valves springs retainers,rods pistons. same as stock for 323i?

melloh   Posted Tuesday, May 8th 2:34am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 555

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
You could always call metric mechanic or maximillian (or even some of those world pac places) and tell them what you're doing and they will know exactly what to send you. If I were in your shoes, i'd pick like 5 places, call them all, get prices and a feel for their knowledgeability, expertise, and business ethics, and make the decision then.

g323   Posted Tuesday, May 8th 7:27am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 154

California
323i 1982
man, the bavauto set is just what you want, then u individualy order anything else out of the ordinary thats ,,,,d up!

BarryA   Posted Tuesday, May 8th 10:30pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 188

Sacramento CA
81 320
Problem you're up against is that BMW built a lot of different versions of the M20 engine, some of which never "officially" came to the US. Displacements ranged from aproximately 2 liters in the 320/6 to just under 2.7 liters in the eta engines, there were several different cylinder heads, crankshafts, piston designs, etc, and a fair number of parts don't necessarily interchange between versions.

It's pretty unusual for a rebuild to use nothing but the original crank, block and head - replacing every nut, bolt, washer, fitting and accessory isn't normally considered necessary, and is certain to add significantly to the end cost of building the engine. You might want to contact some of the better known shops (Korman, Metric Mechanic, etc) for quotes on a turn-key stock rebuild and let them make the determination as to what needs to be replaced and what doesn't.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.