Tech Forum : Urethane Rear Trailing Arm Bushing

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Urethane Rear Trailing Arm Bushing
g323   Posted Monday, May 14th 9:38pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 160

California
323i 1982
Anybody ever install these? How difficult is the installation? what are the steps? how much difference does it make in performace? right now i want to stiffen up the rear more as it is overly stiff in the front. Hoping this will do the trick as my rubber bushings are beyond shot.

Boost_me   Posted Tuesday, May 15th 11:49am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 219

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
As far as I know you need a press as they are a bit*h to get in and out, I'm pretty sure you can also buy a replacement arm with them istalled already, you can in some cases (Front's I know you can but rears unsure???) you can get away with a vice and a few larger size socket's........

Greg323i   Posted Tuesday, May 15th 5:22pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 346

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
I believe the urethane bushings for the rear trailing arms are two pieces, one piece goes into each side. Depends on manufacturer though and I'm not really up on it so I could be totally wrong. Getting the old ones out is still a bitch though.

g323   Posted Tuesday, May 15th 5:52pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 161

California
323i 1982
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-Urethane-Bushings-E21-320i-323-E30-318is-325-325e_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42609QQihZ010QQitemZ200108812230QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

those are what i bought,(yet to arrive) and yea they come in two pieces, does that make them easier to install?

How many hours shop time would a mechanic take for this? Does splitting them into two make it easier?

the ones in there right now are beyond shot, but yea if you normaly have to press them in, i will not look forward to taking them out

davethedog   Posted Tuesday, May 15th 9:04pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 169

Northants, England
E21 320
I fitted mine no problems.
I slid an m10 threaded bar through one side, before it went through the other mount I slid on 2 large penny washers 2 lengths of 1/2" tube and 2 nuts. I then wound the nuts down the threaded bar until the bar was through the second bush. I then wound the nuts in different directions until one mount was pushed out.
I then wound the nuts back together until I could fit a plate with a small hole in the middle over the aperture for the removed bush.
I then wound the nuts out again until the second bush fell out.
To fit the new bushes I just reversed the process putting the nuts on the outside and pulling the bushes inward.
As far as performance goes It is very hard for me to judge because at the same time I fitted my Leda adjustable shochs and lowering springs.
I would say that it does feel tighter put wether this is the suspension or the bushes I cant say.

g323   Posted Wednesday, May 16th 1:53am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 162

California
323i 1982
davethedog thanks for the instructions, id like to clear them up a bit though as i dont think i understood correctly

Slide an m10 threaded bar through one side,
whats an m10 bar?

i think once i know that the rest should fall into place

thanks!

melloh   Posted Wednesday, May 16th 8:20am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 559

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
I think he is referring to m10 as the diameter of the threaded bar (or also a long bolt?). You'll find out when you go to a local Home Depot/Lowes or what have you.

chupchup   Posted Thursday, May 17th 6:20am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 211

Singapore
320m20
Can you share with us the diamentions when you get the bushes?

Cheers

Bill in MN   Posted Thursday, May 17th 3:55pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 141

Minnesota USA
1988 735, 1986 535 turbo, 1981 Baur 323i
I've got some Paul Gray "grunt" bushings in my e28 and they do make a big difference. The only downside is that they squeak like crazy if they're not kept clean and lubed.

Mine goes to the local shop at least once a year to have them taken out, cleaned, lubed and reinstalled. They work cheap, otherwise I'd do it myself

I've spoken with several others experiencing the same issues but like me, they agree the benefits outweigh the negatives.

chupchup   Posted Thursday, May 17th 7:11pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 214

Singapore
320m20
hmmm .... I don't think I can afford (time wise) to have the rear removed and lubed on a yearly basis.

g323   Posted Friday, May 18th 3:06am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 163

California
323i 1982
will i have to lube mine? what lube should i use?

Madhatter   Posted Friday, May 18th 9:51am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 184

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
a good silicone based lube is all you need. usually come with bushes if you buy them new.

davethedog   Posted Friday, May 18th 9:40pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 170

Northants, England
E21 320
This is what I did:

Sorry for the dodgy drawing but I did it quick in my dinner time.
My bush's came with silicon grease.
They pushed out really easy and sliped back in no probs.

Bill in MN   Posted Friday, May 18th 10:59pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 142

Minnesota USA
1988 735, 1986 535 turbo, 1981 Baur 323i
Any silicone lube will work.

My driveway is 1/3 of a mile long, gravel and gets dusty during the summer. If I didn't drive on dirt roads as much as I do, I doubt the bushings would get quite as dirty.

chupchup   Posted Thursday, Jul 12th 1:55pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 234

Singapore
320m20
I don't suppose u can crawl underneath your car and spray some sort of lubricant instead of removing the whole trailing arm?

Madhatter   Posted Thursday, Jul 12th 4:26pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 232

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
no because you need to lube between contact surfaces. If you dont use lube, it will tear out the bush. If you use the wrong type, it will break down the rubber and render it useless too.

Silicone based lubricant is about one of the only things that doesnt have a negative effect on rubber/urethane.

chupchup   Posted Thursday, Jul 12th 7:19pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 235

Singapore
320m20
bummer.......i was really quite keen to fit PU bushes to the rear trailing arms and the front control arms.....

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.