Tech Forum : starter removal and replacement

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - starter removal and replacement
jothoja   Posted Saturday, May 26th 1:07am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 9

detroit, mi usa
1983 320i
are there any past diagrams available on replacing the starter 82 320i m10??/?
for the mechanically challenged?

melloh   Posted Saturday, May 26th 2:06am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 563

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
Haynes and Chilton manuals are handy and relatively cheap (esp if used - got mine for ~5 each). If you can't get one quick enough, a look @ www.realoem.com will probably help. Conceptually, i think starters are easy/straight-forward while the hard part is access and squeezing in there. Also, please please please, don't forget to disconnect your battery (at the battery) first!!!

bmw_m_320i   Posted Saturday, May 26th 3:42am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 771

Helena, Montana
none right now :(
if possible when replacing the starter, use one from an E30 M3, or E34 535, as they have a smaller body, so installation is MUCH easier

Hadrian   Posted Saturday, May 26th 9:09am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 43

Australia, Melbourne
E21 323i
M30 starter on an M10... are you sure it works?

jbob   Posted Saturday, May 26th 12:04pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 383

AZ, USA
81 320i
yeah, my buddy in Cali is using a M30 starter on his 320i. I have the E30 M3 starter on mine.

the stock starters on 80-83 320i's can be a pain to remove & install...but it is possible to remove/install them without removing the intake manifold nor the air-meter/fuel distributor. During my first attempt @ replacing the starter, I thought it was impossible but I did eventually get it replaced without removing those major items.
I can't remember exactly how I did it, but I think I started by pulling the starter towards the front of the motor as much as possible (I can't remember if I disconnected any hoses back there); then angled it up or down until it got out of the bell-housing.

pjs323i   Posted Saturday, May 26th 2:04pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
yeah i gotta e34 starter on my 318i...previous owner did it so don't ask me how

g323   Posted Saturday, May 26th 10:14pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 165

California
323i 1982
are any mods needed for installing this other starter? what are signs of a failing starter? sometimes i get a loud nock when starting the car, or a crunch

Hadrian   Posted Saturday, May 26th 10:24pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 44

Australia, Melbourne
E21 323i
Sign of a failing starter = Turn ignition... VVVRRRRRRRrrrrrrrr

bmw_m_320i   Posted Sunday, May 27th 2:14am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 773

Helena, Montana
none right now :(
no mods are needed an M30 is just an M10 with 2 more cylinders basically

BarryA   Posted Monday, Jun 4th 10:18pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 190

Sacramento CA
81 320
A word or two of caution regarding fitment of M30 starters to K-jet M10 engines.....

A year or more ago, I pulled an M30 starter off a 735 to install in my '82 US spec 320. Looked like an easy and straight-forward project on the front end - pulled the old M10 starter, put them down side by side on the bench to compare sizes, appeared identical (but didn't take careful measurements - big mistake).

After 2 hours of unsuccessful effort at getting the M30 starter back into the spot the M10 starter came out of (and undoubtly disturbing the next door neighbors with language not fit for public consumption) I took detailed measurements and found that the M30 starter was a few MM longer than the 10 unit (about 8 mm if I remember right)- just enough that moving the fuel distributor slightly was necessary to get the M30 starter into place.

Once in place, it was also necessary to slot the hole in the mounting bracket that bolts to the block to support the front of starter to allow the bracket to fit - once bolted down, everything else fit back in place with no further issues, there have been no problems since, and the starter intended for a 3.5 liter 6 spins the 1.8 four cylinder with authority.

The above should NOT be the case with either of the smaller starters (M3 or 535)....

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.