Tech Forum : Head bolts....

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Head bolts....
NSR21L   Posted Tuesday, Jun 5th 3:17am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 37

Sydney NSW
BMW E21 323i
I brought new head bolts as it's required to replace the used bolts i've done all stages 1 to 3 torques but i have a problem with the engine now its very very tuff to turn the crank by hand everything was in time. i want to remove the head. will i be able reuse those head bolts even though they have been torqued, they havent been exposed to heat at all.

cheers

Simon

TJ   Posted Tuesday, Jun 5th 9:23am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 25

NY, USA
82 528e2i 84 320i/4 80 320i
No, don't reuse the bolts.

The engine will be hard to turn by hand if you're not using a wrench/lever of some sort. The valve train does put up a lot of resistance.

If you think it's abnormal though, maybe you should take off the oil pan first and double check the bottom end? before you take the head off, necessitating new bolts and a gasket.

sunbeam***   Posted Tuesday, Jun 5th 10:28am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 299

wirral UK
1982 323i
Are the spark plugs in the head? if so remove them and try without compression.

Madhatter   Posted Tuesday, Jun 5th 2:39pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 214

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
what have you dont to the motor while you had the head off?

NSR21L   Posted Tuesday, Jun 5th 5:20pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 38

Sydney NSW
BMW E21 323i
hmm, i've tried cranking it by hand using a breaker bar i know how it's ment to feel with out the plugs, but its very difficult. Im thinking i mite have something restricting it to rotate perhaps from the rear of the engine, something i've overlooked, beacause when i had the engine out the block rotated fine with the crank & pistons installed same when i had the head on. i did overlook the tensioner i didnt release it to tension the cam belt but even though i cranked it over(dry start)it was difficult but i didnt hear no bangs like smacking valves i noticed the cam out 180 deg out so basically it slipped but i think its only the half of the problem i have.

i'll keep you informed on my findings

thanks guys

Simon

Hadrian   Posted Friday, Jun 8th 12:37pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 46

Australia, Melbourne
E21 323i
This is probably stupid but is the car in gear?

Tricord   Posted Friday, Jun 8th 1:52pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 1009

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
When I assembled a M20 long block for the first time I also thought it was hard to crank and I had done something wrong. But I couldn't find anything wrong so I went ahead and finished it up, it turned out to run like a dream.

If your timing is correct and you've turned it over by hand without pistons hitting anything, you're pretty safe to fire it up. Just make sure everything is well lubricated, especially at the first start (it will take some moments before the oil pump gets the oil wherever it needs to be, so you have to make sure there is lubricant there before the oil arrives).

NSR21L   Posted Monday, Jun 11th 11:40am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 41

Sydney NSW
BMW E21 323i
Ok... i have removed the sump and i checked the internals but there no abnormalities to be found everything is in order, i even removed the flywheel & front vibration damper and still no obvious sign of restricting the rotation of the crank, i also checked the camshaft and it turns nice & freely but i didnt do a complete 360 deg!

Tricord, did you find your M20 extremely hard to turn by hand without sparkplugs installed? i have primed my oil pump & i will be dry starting the M20 to circulate the oil before i actually run it.

another thing i noticed as well before i assembled the M20 the two dowels that keep the Cylinder head in position one was missing on my block, i think the machinists had removed it for some unknown reason this should'nt cause a problem, right?

Simon

NSR21L   Posted Monday, Jun 11th 11:41am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 42

Sydney NSW
BMW E21 323i
& no, it's definately not in gear

NSR21L   Posted Thursday, Jun 14th 6:32am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 43

Sydney NSW
BMW E21 323i
I Think i've found my problem, when the whole engine was pulled apart i sent the block, pistons & con-rods for machining when they came back i coated all bare contact surfaces (bores etc) with a graphite film spray lubricant to prevent rust, i coated the crankshaft shells as well with this lubricant, then when it was ready for assembly i added on assembly lube as well on top of this so basically this should explain why its a little difficult to rotate

thanks everyone for your feedback & help appreciate it.

Simon

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.