General Forum : Is this true????

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - Is this true????
NSR21L   Posted Tuesday, Jun 5th 5:36pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 39

Sydney NSW
BMW E21 323i
I was reading a Hot 4's mag the other day ( Aussie performace car mag)and there was a section where they were talking about the new twin turbo 3er engine (mind you this is a lil old) and there was a guy responding to what hot 4's wrote in that section saying that back in the days of the 2002 turbo the BMW engineers would throw the blocks out in the elements and urinate on the blocks supposedly to make them stronger i could'nt belive what i was reading but can anyone shed some light on this if this was really true, i can't imagine how urine can strengthen cast iron otherwise everyone would be doing it, hmm ill have a look around for that mag and ill try to scan it.

Simon:/

Tricord   Posted Tuesday, Jun 5th 6:18pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 1008

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
Not sure about the urin part, but it is true that in some cases old battered blocks were refurbished to racing engines, as opposed to using brand new blocks. The idea is that during their lifetime, the old blocks have been completely ridden of internal shear and tension that can occur in iron castings (due to heat expansion, geometry and other production factors). The abscence of these internal forces and tensions made the blocks stronger to external forces and tensions.

NSR21L   Posted Tuesday, Jun 5th 6:25pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 40

Sydney NSW
BMW E21 323i
That makes so much more sense, i couldnt belive that guy would write such crap, mind you i still could'nt find that mag but ill be on the look out

thanks tricord

Simon

paul dyer   Posted Tuesday, Jun 5th 7:56pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 32

manchester england
1977 rhd 320i/4
I saw a program english tv a while ago that said the same about useing seasoned(used) engine blocks that the engineers had taken a pee on.I think it was presented by a guy called chris barrie(rimmer on the red dwarf tv program).

pjs323i   Posted Wednesday, Jun 6th 2:12am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 51

Canberra, Australia
'81 323i
didn't they use them for F1 engines once they where finished referbing them??? I heard they could push out a hell of alot of pony's...

Jason_323i   Posted Wednesday, Jun 6th 2:23am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 454

UK, Scotland
323i 2.7 tripple webber track car. Maserati Biturbo
Hi

The m12 f1 engine was based on an m10 block, and yes they did get over 1000bhp in qualifying trim but that was a 3 lap engine and special fuel.

Jason

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.