Tech Forum : Electric fan question

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Electric fan question
igbastian   Posted Tuesday, Jun 12th 5:39am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Toronto, on
'79 323i, '87 MB 190D
I have a 1979 323i with a fresh M20 conversion (1991 2.5). The car previously had been cooled by electric fan.

Right now I'm not sure the electric fan is coming on when it should. The fan works, but there is one connector on the fan circuit not hooked up. Is this connector necessary for the fan to work correctly? I'm assuming it is a single spade water temperature sender? (there is no place for this to be connected as of right now)

Is this why my temp guage reads funny?

usang36   Posted Tuesday, Jun 12th 6:36am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 31

Oregon
78 320i, 83 320iS
I think that might be for the AC option, but Im not sure. My US has an extra connector also. Nevertheless, if it doesnt bother you too much you can pull the wires off the temp sender in the radiator and jumper them. My fan is on all the time this way, but then again I removed the engine driven fan so I need the fan to run. Plus it's an aftermarket fan so it's quieter..You might want to put a new temp sender in the radiator, that could be your issue.
John

Madhatter   Posted Tuesday, Jun 12th 11:27am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 220

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
temp sensor for the gauge is on the thermostat housing, not the radiator.

igbastian   Posted Tuesday, Jun 12th 5:30pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Toronto, on
'79 323i, '87 MB 190D
In my thermostat housing I have a two prong sender with a brown top connected to the brown connector that comes with the motronic.

Is this "sender" actually a thermo time switch? I see in the catalogue that the sender is supposed to be a 1 prong....but the connector I have fits on it perfectly. (Since my motor is from a 1991 car it should have no thermo time switch, i'm assuming.)

jrcook320   Posted Saturday, Jun 16th 12:27am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Van Wert, OH
'81 320i
do you still have a cold start injector? if not there is no need for a thermo time switch. I assume the motronic cars do not have one.

The connector on the fan circuit is for the A/C system to turn the fan on. You can wire a manual switch from a hot wire and plug it directly into that plug and it will trigger the fan relay. If you do that you'll also have to install a diode inline or you'll blow a fuse from wherever you're pulling the hot from everytime the radiator switch closes.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.