- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - Exit 2.7
Tricord   Posted Sunday, Jun 24th 12:19pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 1011

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
Well, it wasn't my lucky day yesterday. In between all the work, I found some time to go to the Spa-Francorchamps track for some racing with the 2.7 E21. After only as little as 10 laps (about 40 minutes worth of driving), I saw my temperature shoot up to 3/4 of the gauge while it usually remains at the 1/4-ish side... So I finished my lap smoothly, and went for the pitlane immediately. There the engine started pinging and promptly died.

After letting things cool down for a while, I noticed all the water was gone. It took 6l to fill it back up I decided it was safe to crank, but the engine was stuck. The starter couldn't get the crankshaft to move...

So I went out to find a 27mm wrench to manually turn the crankshaft, which eventually I managed to do. So now it would crank and fire up again, followed by immediate sizzling noise.. It turns out that cyl. #6 is hit so bad it leaks all the coolant right into the exhaust so that it literally flows out of my back mufflers. Never seen that before

I don't really know what happened. It can't have been over revving since I was taking it easy at the start of the day, and the 2.7 as I built it doesn't do much exciting over 5500rpm anyway..

Oh well.. I've had my fun with it. I guess I'll find an E30 2.5 engine and just drop it in the E21 and be done with it...

Madhatter   Posted Sunday, Jun 24th 5:58pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 228

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
In to the exhaust? damn, thats a pretty badly cracked head for that to happen, i just hope its not that an is simply a case of coolant dumping into the cylinder and exiting out the exhaust, hopefully the gasket went and you havent done anything major.

Could have had a head gasket going for quite awhile, the added load and stress from the track work was enough to see it finally fail totally. Its pretty common in my experience for people to drive around with as yet undetected issues, only to experience a track day and have it all come crashing down.

Id just pull the head off first and see where you go from there. Must be the time for failures, did a u turn at the bottom of my street on saturday and the E30 promptly ate a clutch. When i pulled out of the drive i could feel something weird, like it was sticking. Clutch in, did a u turn at the bottom of the hill, let it out to come back up the hill, slipping, then bang, pieces of disc and teeth from the pressure plate parted company

Tricord   Posted Sunday, Jun 24th 7:26pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Administrator
Post nr. 1012

Belgium, Europe
323i Baur
Well I hate to be the source of bad statistics, but so far three M20 heads went bust on me I've had two cracked heads, leaking oil to water, and this time I've probably blown a hole in my combustion chamber or something. It's not just a blown gasket, since I can empty my entire coolant system into my exhaust in under 60 secs while idleing The other five cylinders seem fine though..

Madhatter   Posted Monday, Jun 25th 12:55am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 229

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
thats a lot of water to go out the exhaust without suffering hydraulic lockup. How much of it is in your sump?

Boost_me   Posted Monday, Jun 25th 4:12am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 276

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
Damn man. That's a crazy story.....60 sec's 6 ltr's of water gone hey?? I agree to look in your sump, but I also agree that the engine or atleast the head's seen it's day......Good luck with the new build.

sunbeam***   Posted Monday, Jun 25th 4:15pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 301

wirral UK
1982 323i
Nothing to do with blown engines but i noticed in the colder months my 323 gets a lot of water collecting in the rear mufflers. Must be condensation as the engine doesn't use a drop of water???

ichiwan2   Posted Monday, Jun 25th 6:29pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 289

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
BMW320/6(e21)
If your combustion is perfect, this is the chemical equation:

http://neon.chem.uidaho.edu/~bitterte/bal1.html

ArnZ   Posted Tuesday, Jun 26th 2:15pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 117

Qld, Australia
BMW 323i
sunbeam*** wrote:
Nothing to do with blown engines but i noticed in the colder months my 323 gets a lot of water collecting in the rear mufflers. Must be condensation as the engine doesn't use a drop of water???

yeh its condensation, i get it too on cold mornings

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.