Tech Forum : 323 exhaust question

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - 323 exhaust question
Bill in MN   Posted Sunday, Jul 8th 2:07am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 154

Minnesota USA
1988 735, 1986 535 turbo, 1981 Baur 323i
Not normally a fan of loud cars, I find that I want to hear a bit more bark from the 323. Does anyone have advice as to a suitable replacement muffler or rear system? I'm running OEM right now.

yabby323   Posted Sunday, Jul 8th 7:05am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 9

Adelaide, Australia
bmw 323i
hi there. a guy i know of put a set of supercat straight through mufflers on his, with twin 2.5-3 inch tips either side, quite a snap to it, mine has the same only with single tips, due to fibreglass kit not allowing more cutting, and baffles, but still has a strong bark at high revs, and pretty throaty down low. they are pretty easily available here in oz, i'll check brands and part numbers if you are interested. headers will do the trick too. but straight through systems really open the note up.

imaradiostar   Posted Sunday, Jul 8th 6:17pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1064

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
Check the summit racing website- there is a muffler on the site that's a stainless 2.25 inch in and out muffler. It's roughly the same size as the factory mufflers but you'd have to fab adapters for the input and some sort of tailpipe. If you have a decent quality mig welder you could get some 308 welding wire and some pure argon gas and weld up custom tips using stainess steel- the mufflers and tips would likely outlast the car. A straight through perforated tube muffler would probably sound fabulous with the stock pipes up front.

I tried removing the stock front resonator from my 323i at one point in hopes of improving the sound. All I did was make it sound bad and backfire more often.

While I'm giving my two cents I might as well add a little more to the equation. If you're using the factory 323i manifolds and downpipes then you've got something of a restriction. I used the manifolds and downpipes (and catalyst) from an E28 528e supereta and found that I gained power, especially at higher rpm. The E30 325i cat is similar, just a little bit longer due to a small resonator at the rear. The cat merged the left and right exhaust paths, allowing freer flow to the rear of the car since there was an effective doubling of flow. It sounds a little bit less like a 323i now but still not like an E30.

jamie

MayanArch   Posted Sunday, Jul 8th 7:33pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1305

Florida, USA
Baur E21 2.7 1982, Baur E30 318i 1985, 323i 1978
Ken Danielson........who is the exhaust guru of this site.......recommended Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers as being pretty quiet. I bought model 17741

Bill in MN   Posted Sunday, Jul 8th 9:28pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 158

Minnesota USA
I've a Supersprint system save for the rear section/mufflers, which are stock. No cat either. A bit less baffling would probably do the trick.

KenDanielson   Posted Tuesday, Jul 10th 1:41am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 192

Petaluma CA
'82 320is, '78 320i
I don't think I would say "guru" but I have messed with different exhaust and headers on my e21 more than most...

ken

Bill in MN   Posted Tuesday, Jul 10th 3:47pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 160

Minnesota USA
Do tell Ken!!

MikLem1   Posted Friday, Jul 13th 11:06pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 31

PA/NJ
1980 323i Baur, 1979 Alpina B7
I welded a set of Walker Turbos onto my stock 323 exhaust (albeit with ansa headers) once when the cans rusted out, and it gave a nice increase in exhaust note, w/o making them obviously loud. and they're a lot smaller/lighter than the stocks.

DHoang   Posted Saturday, Jul 14th 11:50pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 340

Texas USA
323i, e39 528i, Maserati Spider, Tundra LTD V8 p/up
I bought a set of bosal oe's for my 323i. It's quiet, but has just enough of the throaty presence to give you that BMW feel. I've heard that the bosals are junk, so before I installed them, I got them powder coated white. I don't know if this extended its life or not, but my experience is that they've held up for the past 7 yrs and the two muffler cans are just starting to rust. Bought them at BavAuto

Notice how the exit pipes don't line up w/ the valence cutout ? Not perfect, but...

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.