-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

General Forum : No DE courses in the Baur.....darn!!!

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - No DE courses in the Baur.....darn!!!
Bill in MN   Posted Sunday, Jul 8th 5:25am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 155

Minnesota USA
1988 735, 1986 535 turbo, 1981 Baur 323i
I just learned that I can't take DE courses in the 323 due to its convertible nature. What a drag

I must have missed it in the fine print somehow. All the work done to get it track capable is for naught as it looks as if the only way the car can get "out there" is in an autocross event, something that doesn't exist up here.

Let's just say I'm more than a little pissed at myself!!!

BruceH   Posted Sunday, Jul 8th 6:20am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1145

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
Check with your Chapter's motorsport chair. My chpater would allow a Baur with the hardtop in place but does not allow true cabbies.

There is no national or insurance issue with cabbies, it is a Chapter decision.

Bill in MN   Posted Sunday, Jul 8th 2:31pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 156

Minnesota USA
" ...no convertables, T tops or targas...."

I'm making an appeal to the DE cooridinator but don't hold out much hope on this one. I should have looked months ago. I simply didn't think it would be an issue since you see 'verts and such running around BIR all of the time.

I guess I can understand to a degree, since a level of communication needs to be kept between the instructor and student, something made a bit more difficult with the wind buffeting through the cab.

BruceH   Posted Sunday, Jul 8th 3:12pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1146

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
Your instructors don't use helmet intercom?

If this is the BMW CCA there is, as I said, no National rule or insurance issue tied to this. It is purely a Chapter rule. Talk to them.

Bill in MN   Posted Sunday, Jul 8th 3:36pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 157

Minnesota USA
It's a chapter thing. I talked with a fellow member who's taken the course and yes, they do use communicators. About the only thing I can guess is there is a risk of the top blowing off. Given I'm starting with the beginners course I can't imagine the speeds getting to the degree where this may be a factor!

I'm waiting to hear back from the powers-that-be on this. I made my case so we'll see what happens.

imaradiostar   Posted Sunday, Jul 8th 6:02pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1063

Nashville, TN
81 323i, 82 525i, 85 524td, 90 535i
This seems strange to me. If it's a safety issue related to the car rolling and crushing the people inside then it makes sense but you'd think there would be an easy enough workaround- some sort of bolt in cage or rollbar, subject to inspection by the organization. It seems odd that it would be an issue of wind or air because I thought most tracks made you run with the windows down if you didn't have some sort of race-specific window material in place.

Worst case is you still have one hell of a nice weekend driver!

jamie

BruceH   Posted Sunday, Jul 8th 7:24pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1147

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
It has nothing to do with the top blowing off. For true cabbies it is occupant safety. Our Chapter's home track is Road Atlanta which has fairly extreme elevation changes. The bulk of the instructor core does not like running in pure dropo tops. No instructors = no event.

The Baur seemed to be the exception to our rule.

Bill in MN   Posted Monday, Jul 9th 12:13am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 159

Minnesota USA
I won't know as to "why" until I hear back from them. My options are to try and use the 535 turbo car, something I highly doubt would be allowed or to purchase another car and dedicate it for track use. It's not the end of the world either way.

BruceH   Posted Monday, Jul 9th 3:17pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1148

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
Personally I wouldn't track the Baur. You always have to be prepared to face balling up a track car. You have too many hours in the resto of your Baur. another downsid is that your hood is going to be chipped up from track duty.

Bill in MN   Posted Thursday, Jul 12th 3:30pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 161

Minnesota USA
I had a nice chat with the DE coordinator last evening and the Baur's a no-go. In thier minds it's a safety matter and that's pretty much that. He's a good guy and their reasoning is sound so that's the way it is. They do not have issue with the turbo car so that's what we'll go with.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.