-Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

Tech Forum : coil touble

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - coil touble
greymarket323i   Posted Thursday, Aug 2nd 2:43am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 11

e21
help help anyone help.!!!!!!! .k i got all the exhaust bolted up,i still need to bleed stuff. but i went to turn it over to hear that sweet exhaust sound. and it wouldnt start wtf so i pull the plug off the distributer from the coil and its sparkng put it back and go to ceack the other plugs. then nothin. so i pull it back off the distributer from the coil now theres no spark there.

the battery is full the coil is good. the plug from the coil is good i tried 2 coils and multiple plugs and i know they all work,but still no spark .the larger side of the coil is getting plenty of power i checked. whats the smaller side/ ground? what could be up with it? im lost i cant figure it out it was working 1 minuite now its not and i am stuck

anyone please get back to me with tips or a solution

im confused i read a bit online about it. like i need to g try AND TRUN IT OVER AND SEE IF THE POWER TO IT CHANGES WHILE CRANKING. I READ SOMETHING LIKE A GROUND BREAKS THE POSITIVE OR SOMETHING TO CREATE THE SPARK. IM CONFUSED. OR MABEY ITS THAT LITTLE BOX ATACHED TO THE POSITVE WIRE ON THE COIL. I DUNNO MY 320I DIDNT HAVE THAT.

cant figure it out. the coil is hot on both sides like 11.85 volts.isnt one side supposed to be a ground or something. is there a fuse or relay for the coil? i dunno nothing is comeing out of it though.nothing at all. im pissed my car is washed new lights on it everything done ready to drive. now this

yabby323   Posted Thursday, Aug 2nd 11:43am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 11

Adelaide, Australia
bmw 323i
ignition switch, could need new gear in that dept.

greymarket323i   Posted Friday, Aug 3rd 6:22pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 12

e21
a mechanic told me that the grren wire or the wire that connects to the larger part on the coil should be hot andthe other the black wire or smaller wire should pulse when cranking. so i should be able to follow it back till it is. can anyone go out to thee car and confirm this?

Madhatter   Posted Saturday, Aug 4th 12:18am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 236

Australia - QLD
E21, E24, E30
you need a test light.

Probe the negative side of the coil, have someone attempt to start the car and see if the test light switches on and off. If it doesnt pulse like that, the coil definately isnt firing and id start looking at things like your ignition module or the generator in the distributor.

You can rule out the ignition switch by running a wire from the positive side of the battery to the positive side of the coil. It will bypass the switch and all the acessories lights should light up on the dash to tell you.

greymarket323i   Posted Saturday, Aug 4th 7:06pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 13

e21
im begining to think its that piece i dont know what its called i believe its located behind the air box has a wire going in and 2 going out one of them out goes to the negative smaller side of the coil. im guesing that this is the pice that is supposed to break spark? it smoked a bit and i think it somehow shorted out or something im getting power in and power out of both parts. no break.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.