-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

General Forum : Dodged the CA smog bullet again......

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - Dodged the CA smog bullet again......
BarryA   Posted Tuesday, Sep 11th 10:02pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 199

Sacramento CA
81 320
The '81 320 slid through the bi-annual smog check with most of its numbers at well under half of allowable totals - probably didn't hurt that it got new plugs, cap & rotor, oil & filter change, and a valve & timing adjustment the morning it went in.

It sure doesn't like the stock ignition timing settings though - runs MUCH better with several degrees more ignition advance.....

melloh   Posted Wednesday, Sep 12th 8:38am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 596

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
Hmmm... That's awsome! I've been puting mine off for about 4 months now. I can't seem to find I guy who will give me a pretest for a reasonable price, though. But, I did find out that if I cannot get it to pass, I can get $1000 for the car (which is about 5x its actual market value).

jesse   Posted Thursday, Sep 13th 2:20am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 364

SF, USA
Dinan 1978 333i, honda insight, audi S4
do you guys have stock motors with catalytic converters etc...?

what all do the inspectors look for?

I'm afraid to even try with my M30 turbo with no catalytic and the EGR light on..

melloh   Posted Thursday, Sep 13th 3:47am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 597

1980 320is, 1991 318is
Yuuuuup. Mine is all stock and completely federalized. Cat and US "bench/diving board" bumpers and all.

Also Jesse, if you really do sell your car, would you mind if I came for a visit before it changes hands? I'd love to just oggle at it. I'll bring my own microfiber clothes to wipe the sweat and drool, i promise!

KenDanielson   Posted Thursday, Sep 13th 6:12am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 192

Petaluma CA
'82 320is, '78 320i
What do they check? Here's what I know-there may be more.
They start with a visual inspection:
They look for all the original emissions equipment. They check for any unapproved parts installed, any nonstock replacement parts must have a CARB exemption.
They check your gas tank vapor collection system by pressurizing it and seeing if it leaks which includes all your fuel vent hoses and gas cap.
They check the timing, it must be set to factory recommendations.

If all that passes they run it on the rollers and check the actual emission levels.

Soooo... a m30 (non stock engine) with a turbo (non stock parts without a CARB exemption) and missing emissions equipment... You won't even get through the visual. But then again, how many smog Nazis really know what it's supposed to have in it??? You can pull the bulb from the EGR light and give it a shot...

You see... CA smog laws are NOT about clean air and reduced emissions, it's about the Democrats not trusting you and controlling your behavior to save you from yourself. OH, and it's about $$$ to feed the smog testing industry they created and recently expanded. With modern EFI you can make your boosted m30 run MUCH cleaner than the original m10 ever could but that doesn't matter, you messed with your car and you are NOT allowed to do that!!! SHAME ON YOU!!!

If they really want clean air they would just set limits on emissions and test for that without any visual at all. OK, I'm off my soap box now. BTW, I will be moving out of CA as soon as possible!

EDIT: I just saw your other post that your car is a DINAN... He MAY have jumped through all the CARB hoops to get that engine/chassis/turbo combination approved, call them and find out. I'm VERY interested in hearing the answer, it could set a precedent for getting a M50 swap through CARB approval.

ken

BarryA   Posted Thursday, Sep 13th 9:47pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 201

Sacramento CA
81 320
Re: Ken's post.......

I'd think that it would be considerably easier to get an M50 series swap (at least using a reasonably stock engine) through the CARB Smog Referee program than it would be to get a turbo'ed M30 legal.

Although I haven't actually tangled with the Smog Referee program yet (will have to when I get around to doing a 2.8 M20 conversion) I know a couple of people who have, and the feedback so far is that as long as two basic conditions are met, the referee program will normally certify the car as legal {EDIT} as long as the new engine meets the emissions testing standard for that engine, year and model.

The two condions are that:
1) all the emissions stuff that belongs on the new engine must remain functional, and
2) all the emissions stuff that originally belonged on the chassis must ALSO remain functional.

Usually that means the evap system on the chassis, and all the active emissions stuff on the engine (including the appropriate cat(s) for the new engine) - obviously, the evap systems for the engine and chassis must be properly connected, too.....

jesse   Posted Thursday, Sep 13th 9:58pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 367

SF, USA
Dinan 1978 333i, honda insight, audi S4
Hey Melloh,

You can definitely check the car out any time. I've started keeping it in SF. Do you have some regular schedule of going back and forth from SF/LA?

Actually while we are on the topic, do you have a recommendation of a tire shop in SF, my tire got screwed in the castro (not a joke, a phillips wood screw )

Jesse

melloh   Posted Friday, Sep 14th 2:47am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 599

1980 320is, 1991 318is
Sweeeeeet (I'll PM you about the oggling session soon!).

I'm officially a resident of San Jose, now. I just go to LA to visit friends during non-school times.

As for tires, I wouldn't know any specific tire shops in SF that aren't chain. I personally have had GREAT luck with Big-O tire in San Diego, Los angeles (Culver City area), and here in San Jose. For some reason, I like to choose very unorthodox tire sizes (eg: they got me those Falken Zeix 502 205/60/13 months after they were out of production) and for some reason, they always manage to find one for me and have it delivered to their shop (no extra cost) within 3 days (usually a lot less, depending on which warehouse it delivered from and time of day ordered). I think they'll also price match for you, too. It's like having a small-time tire shop with big chain-store benefits.

I gave up with Discount Tires/American Tires because, while they're nice and all, they have long wait times. And don't get me started on CostCo. Cmon now.. steal my nice metal valve stem caps (they pocket them and dont give it back to you) and replace them with those tacky green ones??!?!?!?!

Also a note on emissions and motor swaps. I thought one of the conditions was that the replacement motor has to be newer than the replacee.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.