-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

Tech Forum : Stereo advice...tech question..

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Stereo advice...tech question..
MayanArch   Posted Sunday, Sep 16th 5:13am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1380

Florida, USA
Baur E21 2.7 1982, Baur E30 318i 1985, 323i 1978
I want to daisy-chain some plain 8" woofers along with the existing 4.25" on a 50w/channel stereo.

Will those 50w be enough to power the pair of woofers and 4.25" speakers?

melloh   Posted Sunday, Sep 16th 9:53pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 600

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
You may want to define "enough" for the experts (not me) as it can be very subjective. I'm far from being an expert, but my understanding is that if you have less than 20W per channel, it will be tough to get "good" sound with reasonable clarity. If I understand correctly, you're looking at about 12W per channel. You may even get better sound w/o adding the subs or just one of them.

Also, is this 50W "max" output or actual output. From the reading I've done, actual output is about 1/2 of the advertised "max" output.

MayanArch   Posted Monday, Sep 17th 3:41am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1381

Florida, USA
Looks like MB Quart makes an "Add-A-Woofer System". I may just put in a 6.5" inch mid-bass subs with crossovered tweeters on the back.

The sound is clear as is. The volume is high enough without distortion. It just doesnt have any bass to speak of.

I imagine this is because of the small size of the speaker cones in there at the moment. Maybe a six inch meant to be for mid-bass will produce better mid-bass.

I dont want booming rap music bass. I just want mid to low bass for rock music.

TJ   Posted Monday, Sep 17th 6:04am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 38

NY, USA
82 528e2i 84 320i/4 80 320i
RMS power is the better indicator, ie. "50W RMS" would be a better rating than "50W peak power" or just "50W."

Anyway, car speakers are not very efficient. If you have 2 speakers on one 50W channel and add a woofer you could get good bass in your driveway but it might not stand up to road/engine noise. (LOL, nothing can stand up to my M10 and my whiny bearings)

Also, if you have 3 items wired in parallel this might be a lower impedance than the stereo is designed to handle and it won't output its rated power. Wiring things in series can change the balance although you may be able to correct for this with the controls on the stereo.

MayanArch   Posted Monday, Sep 17th 7:59pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1383

Florida, USA
TJ wrote:
RMS power is the better indicator, ie. "50W RMS" would be a better rating than "50W peak power" or just "50W."

Anyway, car speakers are not very efficient. If you have 2 speakers on one 50W channel and add a woofer you could get good bass in your driveway but it might not stand up to road/engine noise. (LOL, nothing can stand up to my M10 and my whiny bearings)

Also, if you have 3 items wired in parallel this might be a lower impedance than the stereo is designed to handle and it won't output its rated power. Wiring things in series can change the balance although you may be able to correct for this with the controls on the stereo.

So, what about these component setups....where you go from a woofer.,.....then wire to a set of tweeters? Arent those wired in serial?

davethedog   Posted Tuesday, Sep 18th 12:04am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 183

Northants, England
E21 320
You need to be very careful pairing up speakers. If you run them in parallel the resistance of the speakers will go from 4 ohms to 2 ohms. This is great for SPL as each of the speakers volume is increased by 30%. The big problem is that many head units / amps are not capable of running 2 ohms. If you decide to run the speakers in series would would increase the resistance and thus make the speakers quiter.
In my opinion I have tried this way of getting a better system and yes you get more volume but quality suffers. The best thing to do is buy the best head unit, amp and pair of speaker you can afford and be done with it.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.