-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

General Forum : todays pictures and questions (lots)

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - todays pictures and questions (lots)
jesse   Posted Monday, Oct 1st 3:40am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 382

SF, USA
Dinan 1978 333i, honda insight, audi S4
OK guys, I've had a minute to look over the car and do a little bit of cleaning to it. In the end I have some questions so I took pictures:

http://www.blarg.cc/~jtm/333i/

1. the driver's door doesn't hang right. As long as I've owned it it has slowly come to that position where the lower part is farther out and the upper is collapsed in slightly. It wasn't like this when I got it. (took pics of the hinges too, they have slid somewhat)

2. bumper or something in the front is not level. I suspect the bumper. Ideas? the "nostrils" are crooked too. I could probably fix that easily though since I had it off when I put in the new radiator fan.

3. rust in that spot on the driver's b-pillar. Is this a major deal? Looks like something I'd better take care of ASAP (ditto for the cracking on the fender flarings)

4. steering wheel. It's a sweet wheel, however I'd like something 1/2" bigger and not so old... anyone have ideas on something in the sub$200 range that fits that bill?

5. the center console is not bolted in completely right now so i know it looks sloppy. however it's custom made for some stereo components that i'll never be putting in the car. anyone know of a way to go back to the OEM center console and still keep all those gauges?

6. there's my crappy cold-air-intake. I took out the 2nd set of low beams and put some ducting to route air over the cone filter. One of the things I want done to the car most is to put the old OEM air filter back in place. I didn't have the right hardware after putting in the MAF and losing the AFM.

Thanks in advance, i know that's a lot for one post.

Jesse

ArnZ   Posted Monday, Oct 1st 6:21am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 122

Qld, Australia
BMW 323i
1. i dont know lol, sorry

2. with the bumpers try bending the bumper mounts in the wheel arches to level it out.

3. the rust in the drivers b pillar aint that bad, on my car i got heaps more then that, its just one of those things you'll get around to doing. though it seems like thats one of the many common areas on a e21 to get rust.

4. take your existing steering wheel into an auto shop, they might be able to have different steerings wheels that will fit as it looks like you already hav an aftermarket steering wheel.

5. probably your best bet is to make a new centre console to keep those gauages but do it less sloppy then the previous owner, thats what i would do.

6. the cold air intake doesnt look that bad. thought i dont quite understand what your asking. if you want oem style air filter your gonna need to get a oem afm i guess.

jesse   Posted Monday, Oct 1st 9:37am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 383

SF, USA
Thanks ArnZ,

about number 6... I guess it wasn't really a question, I should have made a comments section

I have the stock airbox and just need some custom piping in order to re-route it into the MAF which sits about an inch shorter and 1" bigger in diameter than what my current piping accomodates.

best,
Jesse

ArnZ   Posted Monday, Oct 1st 12:11pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 123

Qld, Australia
BMW 323i
lol no problems, hopefully other forums members might have some more insightful information

anyways good looking car u have. good luck

sunbeam***   Posted Monday, Oct 1st 11:50pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 317

wirral UK
1982 323i
1/ Hinge pin has slipped out due to wear, replace pin and re-shim the hinge/door to sit flush
2/ Definatley the bumper brackets slipped where they bolt to inner wing (maybe rusted washers)
3/ I'd get the rust ground out of the pillar asap and welded up before it gets serious.
5/ Remove facia to use as template for gauges on cut a new facia from MDF then cover with vinyl of felt.

M42powered   Posted Tuesday, Oct 2nd 2:42am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 738

Arizona, USA
1981 BMW 320i
2: Check that clips that hold the nostrils in are both there at the top. Same clips that hold the top of the grills in. You should be able to slide it around. The bumper really does look saggy.

4: MoMo has what you're looking for probably, assuming that's a MoMo hub you have.

5: Nothing you can do other than cut a standard console to fit your gauges. They sell hole saws that are the right size I'm sure. Your shifter is REAL tall by the way.

I swear I'll measure my HARTGE bar soon.

jesse   Posted Wednesday, Oct 3rd 8:39pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 384

SF, USA
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the responses, they are very helpful.
Nick, don't sweat that measurement anymore. I went by Dinan and spoke to the guy that was around when the car was built. It's a Hartge bar that I have, it was custom silk screened by the owner which is why you can't tell it's a Hartge bar by looking at it.

Jesse

JJG323   Posted Friday, Oct 5th 6:08am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1335

Reading MA USA
1979 BMW 323i
Hi.
I would take car of the rust, and have the whole car repainted.

Also I would replace the bumpers with euros.

Other than a few cosmetic items the car looks great.

jesse   Posted Friday, Oct 5th 6:45pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 386

SF, USA
Thanks for the feedback JJ.
The only problem with euro bumpers is the BBS front spoiler won't mate up to them.

Best,
Jesse

sunbeam***   Posted Saturday, Oct 6th 12:28am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 319

wirral UK
1982 323i
That's the same bbs spoiler i've got and it matches the euro bumper perfectly.

Bill in MN   Posted Saturday, Oct 6th 2:54am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 185

Minnesota USA
1988 735, 1986 535 turbo, 1981 Baur 323i
As for the door hinges, Sunbeam's right. They can be brought back to where they should be by playing with shims and repositioning the door. Unfortunatly I've lots of experience with this so feel free to PM me if you need more info.

There was a euro console on ebay yesterday that was not going for a lot of money. This would be a direct bolt-up and will be correct for the a non AC car.

JJG323   Posted Saturday, Oct 6th 3:08am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1336

Reading MA USA
1979 BMW 323i
jesse wrote:
Thanks for the feedback JJ.
The only problem with euro bumpers is the BBS front spoiler won't mate up to them.

Best,
Jesse

Jess.
I have the same BBS spoiler, and it looks awesome on mine with the euros. You need euro bumpers.

jesse   Posted Sunday, Oct 7th 4:28am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 389

SF, USA
wow.
on top of that i'm CRYING about your paint condition vs. mine :'(

nice. thanks for the info!

can you take pics of it from the side?

JJG323   Posted Monday, Oct 8th 2:52am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1337

Reading MA USA
1979 BMW 323i
jesse wrote:
wow.
on top of that i'm CRYING about your paint condition vs. mine :'(

nice. thanks for the info!

can you take pics of it from the side?

here

M42powered   Posted Monday, Oct 8th 5:12pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 739

Arizona, USA
1981 BMW 320i
Yeah, Joe's car is like fine wine. It takes a damn good long time to make, but it's certainly turning out really well.

JJG323   Posted Tuesday, Oct 9th 1:37am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1338

Reading MA USA
1979 BMW 323i
M42powered wrote:
Yeah, Joe's car is like fine wine. It takes a damn good long time to make, but it's certainly turning out really well.

Thanks, The real funny thing is that my last name is also the family of a famous Italian wine maker in California. No relation of course.

Anyway, I would have finished it a while ago, but I did not have the resources. But don't worry I am going to get it done soon. I need billet rocker arms for the engine.

And Jess since your DINAN is no where near the rotted condition of my 323i a good paint job, and some euros and your car should really shine.

MikLem1   Posted Friday, Nov 2nd 8:41pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 33

PA/NJ
1980 323i Baur, 1979 Alpina B7
I've got a set of euro bumpers that'd be perfect if you wanted to do a body color bumper setup like Joe.

I bought them off eBay a long time back, to slap on a driver. That is to say, chrome is not nice enough to go on a fully restored car, but good enough for a driver, or to be painted body color.

Don't have any immediate need for them, so let me know if intersted.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.