- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - FYI tach wiring
jesse   Posted Monday, Oct 15th 7:10pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 396

SF, USA
Dinan 1978 333i, honda insight, audi S4
Hi Guys,
There are a lot of threads here which mention tach wiring and I've asked about it before, which allowed me to make some headway on the Dinan tuning this weekend. So I wanted to lay it out in here and maybe others can add info, then this thread will be around for people to search.

Behind the cluster there are three plugs. One behind the speedo, one behind the tach and one behind the water temp guage.

The tach wiring is behind the tach. The plug is different than the other two. The other two both have about 6 pins and plug in straight. The tach wiring has 3 large pins and plugs in vertically.

The three pins go to 4 wires.

1 - black == tach signal
2 - two brown wires == ground
3 - green/white == ????

Anyone know what the green/white is? Well anyhow grabbing the RPM signal from the back of the tach did wonders for stabilization of the RPM going into my split second box. But only after I plugged it back into the cluster, and I even think that it was only after all three plugs were back in the cluster. Before all that the RPM signal was very erratic.

Thanks for all the help, the tuning is going in leaps and bounds now and now that it's 70% there I need to book some dyno time for the final tuning that it's just too dangerous to try to do on the street. Can't be out on 101 trying to use a laptop, a wideband, and drive the car through full throttle acceleration in 3rd gear

Best!
Jesse

redmist   Posted Monday, Oct 15th 10:29pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1044

NY USA
357i , 325i e30 turbo
Sure you can. Are you using Megasquirt? I'm running MS2 extra on the e30 rear turbo. There is a program called Megalog Viewer. You datalog from MS, set your target afrs and MLV changes your VE table. It works fantastic.
Also instlled a TFT 7" display in the radio slot and set up a windows XP car computer. I run Megatune and do tweaks with a touch pad and a mini USB keyboard while on the road.

TJ   Posted Tuesday, Oct 16th 5:13am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 41

NY, USA
82 528e2i 84 320i/4 80 320i
I think the green/white wire would be 12V. Don't have a cluster handy here to confirm though.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.