-Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails

Tech Forum : 323i Steel Break Lines, only in front?

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - 323i Steel Break Lines, only in front?
g323   Posted Wednesday, Oct 24th 7:03am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 185

California
323i 1982
Hi all,
Im away and the mechanic has my car and is taking it slow. The other day he installed the 4 steel break lines in the front for me,
but not in the back 2, what performance difference will this make, or any diffference? will it put too much pressure on the back lines?

thanks!
Grant

BarryA   Posted Tuesday, Nov 20th 9:47pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 204

Sacramento CA
81 320
Assume you're referring to replacing the rubber flex lines between the chassis and calipers - if so, changing from rubber to stainless flex lines will have no bearing on the system pressure when you put your foot on the brake pedal (all you're doing is swapping one flexible hose for another one made of a different material).

Where you might have a problem would be if the remaining rubber lines going to the rear calipers are rotted or cracked - in that case, they'd become the weakest point in the system, and could possibly blow out under high line pressure.

Curious about your original post - it says your mechanic changed the four front lines, but hasn't done the two rears yet. Again assuming that the lines being replaced are the flex lines, there should be two front lines and four rears - at least on my 323 brake system, there are two hoses to each rear caliper (one between the chassis hard line & the hard line on the trailing arm, and one from the hard line on the trailing arm to the caliper itself) but only one line on each side in front.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.