- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Motronic on E21
MayanArch   Posted Tuesday, Nov 6th 10:40pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1435

Florida, USA
Baur E21 2.7 1982, Baur E30 318i 1985, 323i 1978
Having a car fully apart, and wanting to upgrade to a Motronic computer:

Can a Motronic harness be used instead of an E21 Harness?

Would it be able to power the dash?

Would the tail lights and head lights be the same?

What would be incompatible?

aussie323i   Posted Wednesday, Nov 7th 9:09am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 594

australia
1979 323i
If it were me, I'd replace the e21 engine loom with the motronic one... much simpler than trying make the entire wiring loom from an e30 or what ever run everything in the e21.

This was how I did my L-Jet conversion... pretty straight forward!

M42powered   Posted Wednesday, Nov 7th 4:09pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 743

Arizona, USA
1981 BMW 320i
aussie323i wrote:
If it were me, I'd replace the e21 engine loom with the motronic one... much simpler than trying make the entire wiring loom from an e30 or what ever run everything in the e21.

This was how I did my L-Jet conversion... pretty straight forward!

what he said. My M42 runs on motronic. Just changed the engine loom and wired what was needed to the E21 fuse box. Presto!

MayanArch   Posted Thursday, Nov 8th 12:38am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1440

Florida, USA
The car is fully apart. It is at a point where changing the entire thing isnt a problem, since the dash and the interior is completely out....and the old wiring harness is still out.

The problem is that the person that is supposedly refurbishing the harness is taking forever, and storage charges are killing me.

With nothing in the way....and no wiring in place at the moment.....is there anything in the instrument cluster, dash, AC, or lights that cant/wont be addressed by the full Motronic harness?

M42powered   Posted Thursday, Nov 8th 1:45am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 745

Arizona, USA
1981 BMW 320i
I believe that is uncharted waters. I don't know of anyone that has gone to a full E30 wiring harness.

Horstl   Posted Thursday, Nov 8th 2:03pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 26

Austria
323i / 2.7, 323i, 315, M3
Hi,
I replaced the E21 harness with an E28 harness as my car was completely disassembled, too. E28 harness is very similar to E21, has the same fusebox location. E30 fusebox is on different place, there's a big hole into the passenger compartment, too. I would not recommend using the E30 harness. As already said: go with the E21 and make an adapter to fit the engine harness, or: try to use a E28 harness (is is a pain too) and make an adapter.

my 2c

rgds
Horst

MayanArch   Posted Thursday, Nov 8th 4:51pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1441

Florida, USA
Horstl wrote:
Hi,
I replaced the E21 harness with an E28 harness as my car was completely disassembled, too. E28 harness is very similar to E21, has the same fusebox location. E30 fusebox is on different place, there's a big hole into the passenger compartment, too. I would not recommend using the E30 harness. As already said: go with the E21 and make an adapter to fit the engine harness, or: try to use a E28 harness (is is a pain too) and make an adapter.

my 2c

rgds
Horst

Horst,

The ultimate goal is to have a Motronic controlled engine. I guess a better way of describing my problem is.......can I bypass any redesign or splicing of harness pieces by just using the entire E30 harness....instead of mix and matching pieces.

Ultimatly, I need the E30 ECU and injection system.

Horstl   Posted Thursday, Nov 8th 6:20pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 27

Austria
323i / 2.7, 323i, 315, M3
Simply answer - NO
making an adapter cable from e30 engine harness to e21 chassis harness will take about 1h - fitting the e30 harness will probably take 2days (no e21 switch will fit btw...)

rgds
Horst

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.