Tech Forum : Crispy....

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Crispy....
MayanArch   Posted Tuesday, Nov 13th 3:55am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1449

Florida, USA
Baur E21 2.7 1982, Baur E30 318i 1985, 323i 1978
OK, I did a really dumb mistake. I was finishing my stereo install...and checked the stereo fitment before I put electrical tape on my connections. I think I grounded out a wire....because I got a puff of smoke and the red wire coming directly from the battery melted its isolation.

Some bare connectors must have touched the steel sleeve insert that the stereo slides into at the same time.

Everything works except the stuff that is comming from the steering column. No wipers. No turn signals, and nothing that works with Accessory. No Air Conditioning....no stereo. Everything else works electronically.

Also, the ignition switch sometimes doesnt turn the car off when I turn it back and pull the key out...sometimes. I have to put the key back in and turn it back and forth to get the engine to shut off.

HELP!!!

Boost_me   Posted Tuesday, Nov 13th 6:44am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 292

Victoria, Australia
1981 BMW 323i
Check every fuse that has anything to do with the dash.....Then the wires, like you said you melted a wire, so you light have to rerun some wiring and then change a couple fuses/relay's and you should be sweet....

MayanArch   Posted Tuesday, Nov 13th 1:20pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1450

Florida, USA
Boost_me wrote:
Check every fuse that has anything to do with the dash.....Then the wires, like you said you melted a wire, so you light have to rerun some wiring and then change a couple fuses/relay's and you should be sweet....

I did check some of the fuses. Those are pretty simple, right? As long as the little copper string that joins both sides is intact the fuse is OK, right?

What about Relays? Is there an easy way to check a relay?

nowloadingrage   Posted Wednesday, Nov 14th 3:15am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Tennessee, U.S.
83' 320i -w- Century Turbo
Even if the copper on the fuse is not broken. I have still have fuses that appear good still be bad. Still is a cheap thing to rule out. Well I have recently dealt with an e30 with a very similar problem. Had some nasty cooked ground wires. I would start by pulling the cover off the bottom of the steering column. Be looking for all the items you metioned ground wires. They all come together and bolt to the column. You should see burntness.

MayanArch   Posted Wednesday, Nov 14th 2:03pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1451

Florida, USA
Everything is working now. I replaced some of the fuses, and rewired grounding for the radio and evaporator fan.

There is not a lot of room there. The radio sticks out about 3/4 of an inch, as it seems modern CD players are a bit longer than the old cassette players.

aussie323i   Posted Thursday, Nov 15th 5:25pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 596

australia
1979 323i
MayanArch wrote:
Everything is working now. I replaced some of the fuses, and rewired grounding for the radio and evaporator fan.

There is not a lot of room there. The radio sticks out about 3/4 of an inch, as it seems modern CD players are a bit longer than the old cassette players.

Do you have the vertical stereo? In which case, are you sure the wires aren't bunched up on top of your transmission tunnel stopping the CD player from pushing in?

I just ask, because when I fitted my Pioneer CD player, I thought it wouldn't fit, but with a bit of careful wire maneuvering it did actually push in, and it stuck out quite a long way to start with.

MayanArch   Posted Thursday, Nov 15th 9:56pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1452

Florida, USA
aussie323i wrote:
MayanArch wrote:

Do you have the vertical stereo? In which case, are you sure the wires aren't bunched up on top of your transmission tunnel stopping the CD player from pushing in?

I just ask, because when I fitted my Pioneer CD player, I thought it wouldn't fit, but with a bit of careful wire maneuvering it did actually push in, and it stuck out quite a long way to start with.

I have tried pushing wires back towards the AC in order to make up for this. Some of it is due to that. I dont know that all of it is.

Yes, this is the vertical type.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.