General Forum : tyre - tires

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - tyre - tires
chupchup   Posted Thursday, Dec 13th 4:49am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 266

Singapore
320m20
I would like to know how many on the forum are still running on the original 13 inch rims and what brand and model of tyres are still avaliable for our 185/70R13H's.

Cheers

melloh   Posted Thursday, Dec 13th 6:42am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 621

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
I think in the US our choices are limited to michilin mxv, sumitomo htr 200, and if you can find them... falken zeix 502 (discontinued). I have the falkens I got from BigO. But, you're in singapore so what's available to you is probably different. Besides pur R-compound slicks, AFAIK these listed are the sportiest options (there are more econo-tires available) we've got. I've used the falkens and michilins. Unfortunately, the Falkens were 205/60/13 and the 185/70/13 so there is not a direct comparison. However, both tires felt about equal, but the falkens looked better (big whoop), had less flex (probably b/c of lower profile), and were cheaper. So for me, Falkens are preferred. Good luck finding something!!! What do you have available to you?

chupchup   Posted Thursday, Dec 13th 6:47am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 267

Singapore
320m20
I used to be able to get BS G3's but this has been discontinued and getting the size is becoming difficult.

I m trying to establish if it is a local or worldwide problem.

melloh   Posted Thursday, Dec 13th 9:53pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 622

1980 320is, 1991 318is
I'm going to put my money on world-wide. Pretty soon I think our options will be only super-econo or full race tires (thankfully, some racers still use 13" wheels). That is... unless you get lucky and find a shop w/ a warehouse stocked w/ discontinued all-season performance. That's fine for me b/c I intend to make this my track rat, so I can get cheap tires (that will probably outlast the car) to get me to the track and switch over to a set of R-compounds... and cheaper b/c they're smaller diameter!

chupchup   Posted Friday, Dec 14th 6:23pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 268

Singapore
320m20
I think there are quite a lot e21's around the world..... so what they are all gonna be running around without tyres????

The R compunds.. they come in semi slicks?? Can you point me in the right direction?

melloh   Posted Saturday, Dec 15th 8:10am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 624

1980 320is, 1991 318is
Here are some links. If they dont work, just search tirerack. Notice the road tires are in 185/70/13 and the sport/race are 205/60/13.

Hoosier and Sumi HTR 200

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?loadRank=2&width=205%2F&ratio=60&diameter=13&vehicleSearch=true&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&speed_rating=S&speed_rating=T&speed_rating=U&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=%28Y%29&RunFlat=All&x=71&y=9

Victoracer v700
http://www.victoriatire.com/tires.html?cart=7333897959380&BRAND=Kumho&NAME=V700%20Victoracer

Road tires
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?loadRank=2&width=185%2F&ratio=70&diameter=13&autoYear=1980&diameter=13&sortCode=31900&minLoad=S&ratio=70&autoMake=BMW&autoModClar=&minSpeedRating=S&width=185%2F&autoModel=320i&vehicleSearch=true&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&speed_rating=S&speed_rating=T&speed_rating=U&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=%28Y%29&RunFlat=All&x=58&y=20

chupchup   Posted Monday, Dec 17th 6:23am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 269

Singapore
320m20
Thanks, I will take a look at it when I get back...

chupchup   Posted Thursday, Jan 3rd 2:37pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 270

Singapore
320m20
Took a look at the recc sites and man the highest ratings are "T" for 185/70R13.....

The Hoosiers looks intersting but i don't think they are approved for road use and they are 205/60's...... I prefer the 185/70's....

Sheeezzze, I may have to scrap the car if I can't get tyres.... so much so for mobile tradition....

melloh   Posted Friday, Jan 4th 2:28am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 634

1980 320is, 1991 318is
Yyyyyyup. Is there a reason you don't want 205/60? You can click on "View car" for me and that's what it will look like. (Note: car is lowered w/ H&R springs and Bilstein Sports.) As for accuracy in mileage and speed, I recall the difference was pretty much neglegible. An additional benefit is that the extra width not only gives more contact patch and the old-school hotrod look, it protects the wheel from when you're trying to park against a curb with a latte in one hand and a donut in your mouth while your girlfriend/wife/date is complaining about your driving. IE: no more curb rash.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.