General Forum : New fuel pump gone bad?

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - New fuel pump gone bad?
DP57   Posted Friday, Dec 14th 5:54am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 21

CA, USA
'82 320i, '94 318i
I'm trying to crank over a refreshed engine and start it up for the first time, but I was getting no fuel to the motor. Tested both pumps and found the in tank pump to be bad, but the external to be fine. Replaced the in tank pump--no fuel. Retested and found that the external pump was now bad. Replaced the external pump so that there are two new pumps on the car and now the brand new external pump has died???? What am i missing here, I probably only got two or three cranks out before I got nothin'. Any ideas?

DP57   Posted Sunday, Dec 16th 7:16pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 21

CA, USA
'82 320i, '94 318i
Would rust in the fuel tank jam up and blow a pump? When I took the pump off "reddish" fuel flowed out...think that's enough to put a new pump over the top?

TJ   Posted Monday, Dec 17th 3:18am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 49

NY, USA
82 528e2i 84 320i/4 80 320i
I wouldn't expect a lot of crud from the fuel tank to make it into the external pump, since the pump in the tank has a screen on it IIRC...

What is the condition of the new external pump? Is it shorted, open circuit, or simply runs but doesn't flow any fuel? Have you ruled out the check valve?

DP57   Posted Tuesday, Dec 18th 3:31am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 21

CA, USA
'82 320i, '94 318i
Yeah, that's a good point about the in tank filter. The new external pump is brand new out-of-the-box. I've tried shorting in out to a 12v battery and it does nothin'. It doesn't even hum. Initially when I tried to short it while it was hooked up (after finding that it didn't run) I could hear the fuel pump relay clicking in the fuse box. Also, with the old pump when I shorted it to a battery I found that it would actually take the power and run the in tank pump. Go figure. The check valve was brand new with the pump. But I'm not even worried about that at this point because the pump doesn't seem to do anything.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.