Tech Forum : Starter problems...

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Starter problems...
melloh   Posted Wednesday, Dec 19th 9:09pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 626

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
If it's not one thing, it's another. The car will no longer start (and I'm stranded b/c the other car is in the shop). Here's the deal...

Will NOT turn over or crank
I can hear it "click"
- when I release the key from start position, sometimes the 'return click' (?) takes a while to occur (up to 30 seconds).

Lately, it has been starting in an unusual manner - it would click but not immediately start winding up (like a 1 sec delay/hesitation) and then start up really quick - like an exploding start rather than a typical wind-up fashion.

I'm suspecting solenoid, even though tapping the solenoid didn't work.

Thoughts anyone? I'm going to see if I can find some tools (left my toolbox in the other car that's in the shop... ) and bike my butt to the local P&P for now.

g323   Posted Wednesday, Dec 19th 10:37pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 210

California
323i 1982
Bad luck man, push starting? cleaning all of the grounds again? more power? do you have a battery charger?

Ill be around soon, when you off for break?

melloh   Posted Thursday, Dec 20th 12:20am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 627

1980 320is, 1991 318is
I was thinking about the push-start, then I happened to pass out (finals sleep sched caught up...). So yeah, finals are DONE (until 4 months from now). I'll be getting the other car back tomorrow, so I'm going to take my time looking for a replacement starter - probably the e30 m3 as suggested in another thread here. I ALMOST overnight ordered one, but too much $ has ben spent on this car lately.

KenDanielson   Posted Thursday, Dec 20th 6:20am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 192

Petaluma CA
'82 320is, '78 320i
The starter and solenoid are pretty easy to go through and freshen up. The solenoid problem is usually carboned up contacts, carefully disassemble it and clean the disk and contacts with sandpaper then reassemble.

Also check your battery cables, corrosion often goes down inside the insulation several inches and increases the resistance considerably. If you still have the original woven ground strap between the left side of the engine and the frame you should probably replace that too. If it's missing you need to install one. It does NOT have to be the OEM woven type, a short generic battery cable with eyes on each end works fine.

Check my post at the end of the Distributor thread, you only have 10 days to get this sorted...

ken

melloh   Posted Saturday, Dec 22nd 9:09am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 628

1980 320is, 1991 318is
replaced the ground strap w/ clean contacts - no change. By this time, it was dark out. Tried to remove the starter. Here's where I stopped. Is the bracket bolt an 8mm hex semi-hidden behind the intake/plenum rubber boot? If so, looks like I need to remove the boot to get enough leverage to torque it off (and be able to put it back on).

Edit: forgot to add that yes, the WUR is removed)

melloh   Posted Thursday, Jan 3rd 3:28am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 633

1980 320is, 1991 318is
Ok, I'm going to require a bit of advice here.

Removed the bracket completely (the single 8mm hex bolt to engine block and 2 small 10mm nuts to the starter body)

Removed completely 2 17mm bolts and corresponding nuts (looks like the ones bolting it to the tranny/gearbox?)

Anything else I am missing here? I have haynes and Chiltons, but I get no more useful info from them (esp Haynes...). The thing isn't even wiggling! Am I missing a mystery bolt somewhere, is it rust-welded to the engine, or something else?

Thanks in advance.

KenDanielson   Posted Thursday, Jan 3rd 5:17am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 192

Petaluma CA
'82 320is, '78 320i
Is there a bracket from the starter to the bottom of the intake manifold? I think there is but I can't remember for sure, mines been changed from stock...

ken

TJ   Posted Thursday, Jan 3rd 10:56am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 50

NY, USA
82 528e2i 84 320i/4 80 320i
it's probably just stuck at the rear of the engine... try "tapping" it

melloh   Posted Tuesday, Jan 8th 1:40am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 636

1980 320is, 1991 318is
Alright, so it was just stuck. Tapped it loose, but it isn't coming out. I read the other thread on this and I simply cannot see how it will come out. Plus, even if I can squeeze it out, getting it back in is usually even harder. But, I guess I can deal w/ that later.

I have already loosened the metal radiator fluid rail that runs along the block, several radiator hoses in the area, and wiring hold-downs. There is a hard plastic (black) fuel hose that I am reluctant to mess with in there, though.

Those who have gotten it out w/o removing the fuel dist assembly, any additional tips? From what it looks like, it seems I need to get it forward enough to ge the 'butt' out of the flywheel, swing it free, and pull it toward the firewall butt-first? Like the pirate explaining why he has a giant ship wheel for a belt buckle... "arrrrrrg... it's driving me nuts!" I just might end up buying the m3 starter just to avoid ever having to do this again.

melloh   Posted Tuesday, Jan 22nd 7:53am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 640

1980 320is, 1991 318is
Ok. So I got the starter out. Apparently the trick was to completley remove the metal radiator fluid pipe.

Here is where I'm at with it:

Everything was moving with relative ease (elec motor spun with little resistance and the solenoid plumb moved freely). I found no indication of binding. Ken, you mentioned to clean the disc and contacts? By contact I assume you mean external electical contacts, but not sure what you mean by disc. I did a quick wipe-down of the contacts only, but it already looks reasonably clean to me.

Also, is there a (safe & simple) way to test if the starter will work without having to put it in the car (only to find it doesnt work)?

melloh   Posted Thursday, Jan 24th 8:28am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 641

1980 320is, 1991 318is
Anything, fellas? My roommates are not appreciating this taking up our dining table, so I need to get it going soon.

M42powered   Posted Thursday, Jan 24th 4:37pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 749

Arizona, USA
1981 BMW 320i
You could reassemble the starter and take it to a parts supplier, they have starter testers. The pictures are great. Nothing looks out of the ordinary. My bet is that the solenoid was giving your trouble. You might want to put it back together and see if it functions.

melloh   Posted Saturday, Jan 26th 12:06am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 643

1980 320is, 1991 318is
M42powered wrote:
You could reassemble the starter and take it to a parts supplier, they have starter testers. The pictures are great. Nothing looks out of the ordinary. My bet is that the solenoid was giving your trouble. You might want to put it back together and see if it functions.

Thanks for the tip!

Reassembled and tested it at local Kragen. Good news - it works. Bad news - he says it's "weak". Seeing as it was pretty clean before i took it apart, it seems wiser to buy one. Thanks everyone for the help. Hopefully this will be the last time I have to tinker w/ the e21's starter. Y'all have a great weekend.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.