Tech Forum : colors on the starter switch

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - colors on the starter switch
g323   Posted Monday, Dec 24th 9:06pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 212

California
323i 1982
I want to put a toggle switch just in the RUN line on the ignition switch. right now it will start fine but wont hold.

what color is the run wire? would i just connect the toggle to the run wire and then to the ground on the other end?

g323   Posted Sunday, Dec 30th 7:19pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 214

California
323i 1982
Red = Hot + Energy
Purple = ACC
Green = Ignition
Black = Starter
Yellow/Brown = Horn

To answer my own question

g323   Posted Sunday, Dec 30th 7:27pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 215

California
323i 1982
also for anyone interested, here is a great DIY writeup for how to install a push button setup.

http://www.bmwe21.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2475

g323   Posted Monday, Dec 31st 12:28am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 216

California
323i 1982
I think this was my problem

"BMW #1: The BMW starter on many late model BMWs incorporates a one-way clutch that allows the engine to spin faster than the starter during engagement. While this makes for smooth, quiet starting and gear engagement, it also provides opportunity for problems.

Many BMWs requiring a Bosch reman starter SR0445X are experiencing multiple starter failures due to the starter motor remaining engaged after the engine has started and the ignition key has been released.

You guessed it . . . there's nothing wrong with the starter - it's the ignition lock cylinder assembly. The mechanical portion of the ignition switch gets hung up in the start position and doesn't return to the run position. When this happens, the one-way clutch in the starter allows the starter to continue spinning with the engine; prolonged use in this condition will overheat the starter causing permanent damage as well as draining the battery. To correct this condition, the entire lock cylinder, steering lock and electrical switch unit must be replaced."
http://www.autohausaz.com/bmw-auto-parts/bmw-electrical-systems.html

I just put in a Universal switch. It starts much better, i will see tonight if the alt light is still glowing.

Also, I dont know if i like it or not that i have to have 2 keys now, but oh well.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.