General Forum : carbon fiber leather wheel

- BMW E21 Community
   - General Forum
      - carbon fiber leather wheel
jayona   Posted Sunday, Dec 30th 10:02am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 11

Colorado, USA
E21
so i am getting ready to wrap my 1st steering wheel (upholsterer in training) and thought about doing it in carbon fiber printed leather. the reason for this is i have a lot of it and no $ at this time. I have held off doing it because it seemed too cheesebally but i need a project besides seats(rear is done, fronts remaining). I usually prefer traditional look but thought i would solicit other opinions first(any are appreciated), thanks - Juan
btw - it is an xtra wheel

ichiwan2   Posted Sunday, Dec 30th 6:23pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 297

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
BMW320/6(e21)
It depends, if you are stripping out the car for track use, should not really matter. If you want to maintain the period look, then it may not match with the rest of the interior. Perhaps if you could show pics of the material...

MayanArch   Posted Monday, Dec 31st 12:07am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1480

Florida, USA
Baur E21 2.7 1982, Baur E30 318i 1985, 323i 1978
I would like to see photos of what you have done. Upholstery is an art......or at least that is how they basically charge for it.

It seems like one of those things....like a paint job...where experience really counts.

melloh   Posted Monday, Dec 31st 3:05am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 631

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
If it's a spare and and you want practice, go fer it. You might even be able to sell it on 'one of those internet auctions' for a small return. While I too would prefer a more classic look, I don't think it would look too terrible if the pattern is still mostly black. Anyway, don't worry. We'll understand even if the CF pattern ends up looking gaudy (not your workmanship though, I'm sure that'll end up just fine).

jayona   Posted Monday, Dec 31st 11:00am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 12

Colorado, USA
E21
thanks for the posts, ill try to post a pic of the material and finished product - see what you guys think then.

jayona   Posted Wednesday, Jan 2nd 6:41am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 13

Colorado, USA
E21
here's a piece of the "carbon fiber" leather next to a piece of heavier grain leather

http://e21.tricord.be/members/jayona/IMG_14.jpg

BruceH   Posted Wednesday, Jan 2nd 5:10pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1161

Atlanta, GA USA
81 323 Baur, 85 745
It looks like the old MB TEX vinyl. I would be concerned about wear using an embossed leather on the steering wheel. The high points are going to take the abuse and wear first.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.