BMW E21
 
Navigation
 -Home
 -Search
 -News
 -Portal

Site Account
 -Login
 -Register
 -Online Users


Forums
 -General Forum
 -Tech Forum
 -News Archives
 -Cars

Files
 -Overview

E21
 -About
 -Parts
 -Funstuff
 -Classifieds
 -Links
 -Projects

Features
 -Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails


Tech Forum : Differential Pinion Tapered Roller Bearing

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Differential Pinion Tapered Roller Bearing
  Posted Saturday, Jan 5th 4:02am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 2


I had to replace the rear pinion tapered roller bearing in my 1982 Alpina C1 differential (3.45 LS diff). Much to my grief, neither BMW North America nor BMW Germany had the bearing available. In desperation I tried a local bearing shop (Wistler Bearing in Colorado Springs). The original bearing was made in France, so maybe explains the durability issue. Not only did Wistler Bearing have a Timken bearing match(made in the USA), but they had them in stock. I replaced the bearing and race yesterday and the diff is quiet again. The bearing race was pitted badly resulting in the noise. So keep these TIMKEN numbers handy in case you need to do some differential work. Who knows when they will be NLA from BMW.

Our good buddy Ray (Mr. Diff) helped me set up the diff just right. Several folks have questioned where he is on this board. He sold his E21 and now drives an E28 with a turbocharged E34 3.5 liter motor. His family has grown and he needed the bigger car.

TIMKEN # HM89410 Race
HM89446 Bearing

Ramp


  Posted Saturday, Jan 5th 8:41am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 51


Did you get a better price at the local shop? I pressed new bearings into my e30 diff but apparently something didn't add up right because it was noisy afterward. I hesitate to try it again since the bearings for just the pinion were a couple hundred bucks at the dealer.

  Posted Saturday, Jan 5th 4:53pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 378


Tell Mr. Avena he is sorely missed and that I wish him well.

Thanks for the numbers, I will file those away for the LSD that I'll be doing (soon, hopefully!)

  Posted Sunday, Jan 6th 7:20am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 3


The price for the rear pinion bearing and race was $45. The front pinion bearing was available from Pelican parts (German bearing) for $24. The key to getting differentials quiet is the torquing of the pinion nut, the crush collar, and any shims needed. You should use a new crush collar and will probably need an impact wrench to get over 200 ft lbs to start it to crush. Checking the ring gear to ensure the contact is uniform is the last step. The BMW blue book explains it in detail.

  Posted Monday, Jan 7th 7:21am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 52


Aha. I did use a new crush collar, but had the wrong torque spec. Thanks for the info

  Posted Friday, Feb 22nd 2:07pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 111


anybody has few LSD internal parts?
Im in need of both side gears and 2 cluch discs!
Anybody?


Thread Administration
 

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.