Tech Forum : Looking for a source for NEW front caliper pistons

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Looking for a source for NEW front caliper pistons
BarryA   Posted Thursday, Jan 24th 3:09am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 208

Sacramento CA
81 320
Have a couple of sets of '77 vented rotor calipers with pistons that are showing wear to the hard chrome plating - enough that I'm having issues with the pistons sticking in the bores within a year or so of rebuilding the calipers due to surface corrosion.

Can't find any aftermarket vendors that have them - dealer says the only way to get pistons is to buy new calipers, but I REALLY don't want to spend about $400 per side to do that........

jrcook320   Posted Thursday, Jan 24th 3:32am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1

Van Wert, OH
'81 320i
buy a few sets of cheap rebuilt non-vented calipers and swap those pistons in. All else equal, stock for stock the pistons should be identical provided they are from the same manufacture (ate or girling).

Or you could save yourself a few bucks and some hassle and just buy rebuild 4 piston volvo girlings for ~$60 each. That is if you have 14" or larger wheels.

paul dyer   Posted Saturday, Jan 26th 11:33am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 38

manchester england
1977 rhd 320i/4
OR...split the calipers and remove the spacers then with new seals from w+n put the spacers between the two halfs of some previously non vented calipers...replacement vented calipers!..(make sure you stick to one make or the other ate/girling)

DHoang   Posted Sunday, Jan 27th 6:05am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 344

Texas USA
323i, e39 528i, Maserati Spider, Tundra LTD V8 p/up
Maximillian importing shows a set they sell, w/ pistons.
here's a link:
http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1831&mospid=47174&btnr=34_0341&hg=34&fg=05

ece323i   Posted Monday, Jan 28th 4:08pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 4

Houston
'81 323i '86 325e
Walloth and Nesch sells new pistons individually. The price listed is 13 euros each. I have ordered from them before and the items actually came faster than I expected.

http://www.wallothnesch.com/e/brake/brakee21.htm

BarryA   Posted Wednesday, Jan 30th 9:52pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 209

Sacramento CA
81 320
DHoang wrote:
Maximillian importing shows a set they sell, w/ pistons.
here's a link:
http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1831&mospid=47174&btnr=34_0341&hg=34&fg=05

Thanks for mentioning Maximillian - didn't think to contact them, but they may not have any better access than the dealer has. I ordered a pair of caliper kits from the local dealer, using that same parts image, which came WITHOUT pistons. The young guy who ordered the parts for me couldn't figure out why the pistons didn't come with it, so he got one of the older, more experienced guys involved - the other guy said the key to the illustration and what's included in the kit is the "bracket line" above the seals/piston grouping - there are vertical lines to each of the seals, but NOT to the piston, which means that the seals are part of the kit, but piston is not.

Regardless, I'll contact them and see what they can come up with......

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.