Tech Forum : 323i Flex disc change out.

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - 323i Flex disc change out.
ineedabrew   Posted Thursday, Mar 6th 3:27pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 26

Stone Mountain, GA
1979 BMW 323i
Anyone have an idea how hard it is to change out the rubber flex disc at the back of the transmission? Mine is worn out and actually missing rubber. It's time to change it or it's gonna get worse.

Greg323i   Posted Friday, Mar 7th 4:46am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 384

Melbourne, Australia
1982 Hennaröt 323i
It's not that difficult, I just did mine a few months ago. You should probably drop the exhaust to gain access unless you have tiny hands. I believe on the '77-'79 there's eight bolts you have to remove, four on the output flange and four on the driveshaft (the '80-'82 has six). You should probably replace the center support bearing while you're under there, it's cheap and it's much easier to get the guibo out when you drop the CSB. When you replace the CSB you should pull it forward about 5mm (preload) before tightening it down.

Also, while you're under there, tighten up the gearshift mounting plate (mine was really loose and the shifter was really sloppy). I believe the plate is held to the back of the gearbox housing with two 5mm allen bolts. Of course, if you have a slushbox you won't need to tighten these up. Some people would replace the shift knuckle while there under there. It can get sloppy after 25 years and it's just much easier to do all this in one go.

g323   Posted Friday, Mar 7th 5:13am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 237

California
323i 1982
how are the motor mounts? i had my guibo changed only to find later on the the mm were shot, and were puting extra flex on the guibo.

ineedabrew   Posted Friday, Mar 7th 4:18pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 27

Stone Mountain, GA
1979 BMW 323i
Thanks alot guys....I will change that CSB as well. The motor mounts look pretty good....only other thing I need to change is the right side steering dampner. The knuckle to the dampener is totally shot and there is tons of play in the right wheel.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.