Tech Forum : rear wheels blocked

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - rear wheels blocked
Yety   Posted Tuesday, Apr 8th 3:52pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 155

Europe, Romania
320i/6
Car is sitting untouched for more than 5 years in the garage. It's time to take it to body restoration, but the wheels are blocked. I've removed the rear wheels, tried to spray a little into the drums along the sides but with no result. I even tried to spin the drums using a long steel tube attached to the spokes of an old rim, but it's stuck like it's been glued...

Any ideas ?

Yety   Posted Wednesday, Apr 9th 10:09am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 156

Europe, Romania
320i/6
"Hardcore hammering treatement" applied to the drums did the job on the rear wheels... ...but now I'm stuck again : all jackpoints are far too rusted to be even touched, so am unable to raise the front wheels from the ground in order to try to unlock them... anyone confronted with such a problem ?

NSR21L   Posted Wednesday, Apr 9th 1:06pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 74

Sydney NSW
BMW E21 323i
I'm yet to encounter that problem, but i reckon you can jack the e21 from the middle of the subframe.
seeing that you can't jack the e21 from the jack points.

Yety   Posted Thursday, Apr 10th 9:47am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 157

Europe, Romania
320i/6
I'm planning to buy a hydraulic jack in order to avoid any damage to the sills while jacking up the car... but I wonder if it would be OK for now to raise the wheels (max. 2' with engine removed) from the ground by the wishbone... lifting point indicated in the picture :

M42powered   Posted Thursday, Apr 10th 5:08pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Staff
Post nr. 752

Arizona, USA
1981 BMW 320i
It's not in first gear is it?

melloh   Posted Friday, Apr 11th 8:40am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 654

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
HAHA... I was going to ask that earlier, but now he's talking about front wheels (I think). You said the motor is out? If not, the most power to break em loose would be to try to drive it or rock it back n forth. Otherwise, I'd gues soak in your favorite rust-buster (PBlaster, wd40...) or liquid wrench and maybe heat it up a bit (carefully)? After that, let the thwacking begin.

jdench   Posted Saturday, Apr 12th 6:11pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 200

Sussex, UK
1979 E21 323i, 1998 E36 323i touring
Beat it, beat it like a ginger stepchild

Yety   Posted Monday, Apr 14th 6:18pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 158

Europe, Romania
320i/6
In gear or not, as long as the engine's not in the body, the rear wheels spin freely... ...but thanks for the thought, anyway... (jdench : "headbang against the couch")

I've already tried to rock it but the result is that I'm just dragging (ploughing) the road with the tyres... Yesterday I've soaked a little the outside brake pads of the front wheels with some rust-losener and now I'm on my way to the garage to check them out... I'll be back later with the "news"...

Yety   Posted Tuesday, Apr 15th 5:33pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 159

Europe, Romania
320i/6
A little tappering with a small hammer on the (front) left brake disk and the wheel was free to spin again. On the right side I managed to spin the wheel without even hammering the disc, so the "job is done".

Lifting the car without the engine by placing a jack under the place where the antiroll bar goes through the wishbone is OK - no problems encountered.

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.