Tech Forum : Compromising Question

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Compromising Question
marinersfan   Posted Friday, Apr 18th 6:46am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 70

Springfield, Missouri
78 320iS
I'm on the prowl for pairing up new front and rear speakers with my Pioneer DEH-1400 head unit and a 4-channel minimum 400W Amp. My question is should I give up my door pockets for adding speakers rather than have them under the glove box and dash? Some Boston Acoustics would probably be my first choice on speakers. Any tips on sizes for the doors if I decide to go that route and then maybe 6X9's in the rear deck?...I'm open to suggestions.

MayanArch   Posted Friday, Apr 18th 7:19am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1535

Florida, USA
Baur E21 2.7 1982, Baur E30 318i 1985, 323i 1978
the largest that will go in the back without major modification is a 4x6. Take a look under that read deck, and you will see the spring elements that keep your trunk up when it is open. Any speaker of any consequence will hit that if you try to cut through. If you keep the stock holes, then a shallow 4x6 is the best you will do.

You cant go too deep in the doors either as you have the mechanisms for the window there.

g323   Posted Friday, Apr 18th 6:38pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 246

California
323i 1982
Where does a speaker fit into the dash? can a speaker really fit under that grill in the center? is it 4x6 also? how would a 5 speaker setup work?(amateur question im sure but i dont get it)

MayanArch   Posted Friday, Apr 18th 9:29pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1537

Florida, USA
About the only use I see for the center grill is a subwoofer. However, you are better off putting that under the seat as there isnt enough space for something much bigger than a 6" sub there. Depending on which AC console you have, it will most likely hit the backside of the controls.

I dont like the setup, but subs under the seats using Pyle low profile speakers, and then count on the 4x6 in the kick panels and the rear deck, along with tweeters on the door on the little plastic triangle on the inside fo the side mirrors. Not a setup that gives you clear mid range bass.............but honestly, today's hip hop music doesnt use traditional mid range bass.

There is no good way to make for mid range speakers without some major modification. I have looked into this extensively. The best I could do is 6" low profile Pyle speakers coupled with tweakers.......using a 1.5" thick board to lift them off the back deck........and thats for the low profiles!!!

I ended up cutting away the trunk springs and rear deck.....and am now figuring a way to keep the trunk lid in the open position. My music was more important than my trunk lid.

Damn youth with their rock and roll music!!!

melloh   Posted Saturday, Apr 19th 12:52am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 659

California, USA (San Jose)
1980 320is, 1991 318is
Long live rock!

Also, what about them custom rear deck enclosures? I tried to google it for pic, but couldn't find one.

Also also, I loooong time ago I bought a set of tweeter pods from an e28 that will fit the e21 (I think really really minor mod is necessary). They're tucked away in a box, clean, and I never used them. I paid 40 + shipping back then. Let me know if you want 'em. I can't find the webpage with pics and install instructions right now, though.

Yety   Posted Tuesday, Apr 22nd 1:10pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 160

Europe, Romania
320i/6
For me, the E21's don't seem to be "hipper-hopper" cars... so rock "rulez" ! ...although in the end, it's just a matter of taste... maybe some people would like listening Bach, Mozart or Beethoven while (insanely) driving their cars...

Anyway... once upon a time, I gave a few thoughts to the following setup : the connections for the 2 front speakers from the source (cassette, CD or MP3 player) would go to the front 4x6 speakers (tweeters can be added to these 2 connections or included in the speakers mounted in the original-factory spaces), while the connections for the 2 rear speakers would go into an equalizer-amplifier that has 2 "high-ohmage" inputs and from that would go in 4 speakers (6x9 or round 9') placed in the rear deck. Both the source and the amplifier have equalizers and faders, so I assume that it could be possible to obtain a decent quality of the sound in a car in which, IMHO, the best music ever is the sound of some nicely tuned exhausts...

MayanArch   Posted Thursday, Apr 24th 2:58pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 1543

Florida, USA
Yety wrote:
maybe some people would like listening Bach, Mozart or Beethoven while (insanely) driving their cars...

Nothing like downshifting and taking a turn to the tune of Beethoven's 9th............yay!

There are also fully enclosed speaker setups that look like wall-mount home theater speakers.....that you could feasibly put in your rear deck. I have never heard them, and cant speak to their sound qualities. I also didnt like them aeshtetically. They seem like something your passanger's heads would smack against in a whiplash action as they are as big as headrests!!

chupchup   Posted Sunday, May 11th 7:09pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]
Post nr. 278

Singapore
320m20
Don't think the E21 was design with "great" sound systems in mind. Orig specs the car came with 4x6's all round, front, rear and center. Period wise, the best sound system was from Blaupunkt with the 32 speaker system at the rear and 4x6 in the front, and the "corbra" equaliser.

I really miss that system..........

Thread Administration

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.