BMW E21
 
Navigation
 -Home
 -Search
 -News
 -Portal

Site Account
 -Login
 -Register
 -Online Users


Forums
 -General Forum
 -Tech Forum
 -News Archives
 -Cars

Files
 -Overview

E21
 -About
 -Parts
 -Funstuff
 -Classifieds
 -Links
 -Projects

Features
 -Unified
 -Hosting
 -Personal
 -Vin-checker
 -Events

Registry
 -Index
 -Thumbnails


Tech Forum : Whistle from intake???

- BMW E21 Community
   - Tech Forum
      - Whistle from intake???
  Posted Wednesday, May 14th 2:55am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 1550


OK. I am getting a high pitched whistling noise from the intake........well, actually a high pitched sucking noise.

What is up with that, and how can I quiet that intake down?

Its a 2.7L stroker with the E30 "is" intake manifold. I am using a filter hooked up to the E30 "is" boot. The cold start valve has been plugged off.

  Posted Thursday, May 15th 1:46pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 664


Mine did this when I had a (K&N) cone filter. Same sound on my friend's honda. If you're using an intake box from bmw (OEM) then I suppose it shouldn't make much noise, though.

  Posted Thursday, May 15th 7:04pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 1552


melloh wrote:
Mine did this when I had a (K&N) cone filter. Same sound on my friend's honda. If you're using an intake box from bmw (OEM) then I suppose it shouldn't make much noise, though.


No intake box......just cone filter, pipe, rubber boot to the throttle body.

  Posted Thursday, May 15th 11:13pm [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 665


Huh. Well, every cone filter I've ever heard (ok, it's a whopping 4), I have heard increased whistling (degreee of whisling definitely loudest on my car than others) and overall noise. If you haven't already made an enclosure, I bet that would help deaden some of that noise and increase the effectiveness of the "CAI" system. Otherwise, as my friend used to say, just imagine you have a mini turbo in there.

  Posted Friday, May 16th 3:40am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 1554


Its just dissonant to the low end rumble of the exhaust. Low rumble out of one end.....high pitched whistle out of the other....

Sounds like someone who sneezed and farted at the same time!

  Posted Friday, May 16th 8:51am [Edit] [Quote] [IMS] [View car]

Post nr. 666


MayanArch wrote:

Sounds like someone who sneezed and farted at the same time!


A noise I am far too familiar with, but not in the automitive circle. I wouldn't know what to tell you except that I'd just make sure that it's sealed in properly and there aren't any rips/holes in the cone and that it's properly lubed/oiled.


Thread Administration
 

Copyright © 2001-2005 e21.tricord.be. All rights reserved. Powered by Unified.